Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Input Box Versus List Box : populating variables from drop downs

We are using a Input Box as a Drop Down; but when the user clicks on the box it allows them to type into the box.  While it does not take the incorrect entry due to setup, it is still frustrating and confusing for less than savy users; and it makes the drop down arrow disappear.  We are relying on the Input Box to populate a variable to show or hide objects of the sheet.  As far as I understand it, a List Box would be able to be populated and would not allow typing but would not return results back to a variable.  How can I get a Drop Down that disallows typing and populates variables?

Environment:

We are using QlikView 10.00.9061.7 SR3 (on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1)  to develop reports that are published in QlikView 9.0 via the QV Publisher on the QV Server to be apart of a web application.  The QVW files get converted to html and that is what the user interacts with.

QVW Setup:

We are using a Input Box with a Drop Down List with a Displayed Variable.  In the Constraints we have chosen Predefined Values Only in the Input; Predefined Values in Drop-down in the Value List; Listed Values in the Predefined Values with a ; seperated list.  The variable that gets populated is controlling what elements on the sheet are being hidden or shown.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

There is not a way to create a traditional drop-down on a list box, but you can get close by using a Multi-Box.  The only reason I don't like them for this purpose is that I think they are less aesthetically pleasing. Take a look.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

You actually can use a list box, you would just restrict the user to 'Always One Selected Value'.  The text in the list box would be an island table in your script, and you can add a Hide Prefix in order to make it not show up in the Current Selections box.  I will try to make a sample file for you real quick of what I mean. I have found this to be more user-friendly than an input box with drop-downs.

Not applicable
Author

I would appreciate that.  We are relaunching all of our standard reports and now is the time to catch best practices.

Not applicable
Author

Okay, here is a sample file of what I was referring to.  I set it up to change a variable when the selection is changed, but since it is also set to 'Always One Selected Value' you can just refer to the field itself if you prefer.  If you have any questions, let me know.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for the example and the swift reply.  I see that you are using a fixed list that uses radio style buttons.  Is there any way to make this be a drop down where when you click on it the selections come out?  If not, then it really doesn't address the issue.  The users will be choosing from several options and screen realesate is already too cramped for a stationary list.  I do like the ability to populate the variable however.

Not applicable
Author

There is not a way to create a traditional drop-down on a list box, but you can get close by using a Multi-Box.  The only reason I don't like them for this purpose is that I think they are less aesthetically pleasing. Take a look.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for your help.  I had not considered the Multi-Box approach; and I like how you populated the variable.  You are right, in that it is not as aesthetically pleasing; but at least now I can give some choices to my sales team of either better looking and typing or ugly and no typing.  I appreciate it.