Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using the new SQL() function

I am using the new version of QlikView since I have tables with billions of lines of data that I don't want to have to load using memory.

The new SQL function seems very powerful since you can do active queries on data, I just don't understand how extensive of a query we can put in the SQL() function.

I would like to do something similar to set analysis, where you can pull back values associated only with certain names, for example

SQL('value WHERE name="Fred"')

Is this possible? Are there any details about this new function anywhere?

Thanks in advance.

-Homer

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi Homer

thanks for the document about this interesting new feature.

As I read it, one can only use aggregation functions in the function sql().

"The expression functions that are supported with this initial release are; Sum, Avg, Count, Min, Max." (page 12)

The string in the bracets of sql() seems to be handed down to the database, so the aggregation function in that string must be supported by the underlying db.

In the function  no filtering is possible, filtering is done via the explicit attributes defined in the DIRECT SELECT statement.

Klaus

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Homer,

do you mean Select (SQL)?

That's running an SQL-Statement against ODBC or OLE DB.

Syntax depends on the driver.

For details see the reference for QV11.

Klaus

Not applicable
Author

I'm talking about the new SQL function in the newest version of QlikView.

Here is a document talking about it, the function in question is on page 8.

http://community.qlik.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/3710-102-1-4293/QlikView%2011%202%20Direct...

Not applicable
Author

Hi Homer

thanks for the document about this interesting new feature.

As I read it, one can only use aggregation functions in the function sql().

"The expression functions that are supported with this initial release are; Sum, Avg, Count, Min, Max." (page 12)

The string in the bracets of sql() seems to be handed down to the database, so the aggregation function in that string must be supported by the underlying db.

In the function  no filtering is possible, filtering is done via the explicit attributes defined in the DIRECT SELECT statement.

Klaus