Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview & Hyperthreading

Hi

I have not been able to find much information about Qlikviews utilization of Intels Hyperthreading, but from what i could find, it seems it should be turned off. Have you guys tested this or got some documentation on it?

Source: http://andpointsbeyond.com/2010/05/05/qlikview-scalability/

"Hyperthreading is designed to help deal with unoptimized applications and the limitations of operating system schedulers. My understanding from the last time that hyperthreading was actively marketed is that QlikView does not benefit and can actually suffer when hyperthreading is enabled. QlikView has highly optimized code and uses it's own threading algorithms to maintain peak performance. Hopefully someone from QlikTech can confirm in the comments that hyperthreading is not advisable."

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi guys

To resolve this I've contacted a Qliktech Solutions Architecht. He recommends not to use hyperthreading.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi guys

To resolve this I've contacted a Qliktech Solutions Architecht. He recommends not to use hyperthreading.

Not applicable
Author

Not applicable
Author

I have run into the same problem before and the solution is to turn-off hyper-threading. Also, I have found the six-core processors perform better than eight-core's for some reason. Although, I haven't tested any application in the new e7 family, sounds interesting.

Regards

Not applicable
Author

Despite the marketing hype in the Intel/QV pdf...

I did some load testing with Hyperthreading settings and the results were very interesting.

I scheduled 40 concurrent QVW reloads in the QDS (the QVW's generated data, wrote QVDs, read QVDs, and then logged stats).

The test hardware was a HP DL580 G7 with 4 X Intel Xeon Processor E7-4870 (4 CPU X 10 cores) and 256GB RAM.  By disabling hyperthreading, the average document refresh time went from 02:53 to 01:50.

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Very interesting indeed, thanks for sharing your results.

Not applicable
Author

Did you guys do further testing? I was thinking of recomending gettinga dell server with E5-2690 & 256 GB ram

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Aji,

I would contact your account manager and see if he can provide you with official information.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Bill