Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

12 Month Lookback

Hi all!

I'm working on a Financial Dashboard for our company that will be providing Profit and Loss statements verses printing out a huge stack of paper P&L statements.  One of the requests was to have a 12 month lookback with an P&L statement for example:

P& L Heading
Jan 2013December 2012November 2012
LINE HAUL REVENUE$1234.00$1222.00$1423.00
ACCESSORIAL REVENUE$300.00$200.00$600.00
TOTAL REVENUE$1534.00$1422.00$2023

I already have a tab that shows the P&L Headings with the current month but I'm having trouble with the 12 month lookback.

So my dimension is P&L Heading and my first expression is this (which works):

Sum({<PL_LineType={'e'},MTHSTART={'=$(vMaxMonth)'}>} [Amount])+Sum({<PL_LineType={'i'},MTHSTART={'=$(vMaxMonth)'}>} [Amount]*-1)

Where vMaxMonth is =max(MTHSTART). (PL_Linetype is P&L Headings that match 'e' are expenses and 'i' are income lines.)

So how would I go programming the second expression with 1 month less than the selected one?

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Ah, it's a date. Try MTHSTART={'$(=addmonths($(vMaxMonth),-1))'}

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

If your month is a numeric field then this should work: MTHSTART={'=$(vMaxMonth)-1'}

If you have a date field you should look into using Qlikview Components. It can create a master calendar for you with a lot of pre-built set expressions that make working with dates and periods a whole lot easier (not to mention less painful). See here for more information.

Not applicable
Author

I tried it and no luck!  I think that vMaxMonth is a date field, this is what is in the variable for me at the moment: 1/1/2013

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Ah, it's a date. Try MTHSTART={'$(=addmonths($(vMaxMonth),-1))'}

Not applicable
Author

That's it! I used that along with ignoring some values via set analysis.

Thanks for your help Gysbert!