Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Random Sort Order in a chart when using Above() within an expression

I have a straight table with 3 expressions: Count, % and Accumulated %. For Accumulated % I am not using the Full Accumulation feature because eventually the value goes greater than 100% and the customer does not want that, they want once reaches 100% to stay there.

So, as a test, I created an expression that uses the Above function to check the above value and sum with the current. In order to words, I did the accumulation manually.

The problem is, for this to make sense, I want the 1st expression (Count) to be sorted descending but as soon as I introduce the 3rd expression (accumulated %), the sort goes to a random order.

The sort order only works if I remove the Above function from my expression or if I disable the 3rd expression. That problem happens in any kind of chart, not only in a straight table.

I have QV11 SR2.

Any thoughts what could be the reason for that?

3 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

The reason why this is not working as expected (from the HELP):

Chart Inter Record Functions

These functions can only be used in chart expressions.

Note!
Sorting on y-values in charts or sorting by expression columns in straight tables is not allowed when Chart Inter Record functions are used in any of the chart's expressions. These sort alternatives are therefore automatically disabled.

Suppression of zero values is automatically disabled when these functions are used.

Not applicable
Author

But that does not work in any type of chart, not only in Straight Tables.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

You're right, the Help text seems not clear enough at this point. I assumed you are using 'a straight table with 3 expressions:..'

I believe most charts (like line and bar charts) use a straight table for internal representation, so I think this limitation affect also these charts.

There might be other possible solutions to your issue, could you maybe upload a small sample file?