Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Min and max on date not working

Hi,

Could you please tell me why these expressions are not working?

Sum({$<business_date ={'>Date($(vMinDate))<Date($(vMaxDate))' >} Assets)

Sum({$<business_date ={'>$(vMinDate)<$(vMaxDate)' >} Assets)

the value of business_date is 2012-01-24 and I have statically made the values of vMinDate andvMaxDate variable in the same format?

I would actually like to subtract 1 from the vMinDate and then do the sum as given above. But before that the above expression should work correctly.

I also tried =Sum({$<business_date = {'>=Min(business_date)<Max(business_date)'}>}assets) but does not work either.

what am I doing wrong. Please let me know?

Thanks

Raghu

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi raghuvansh,

This expression should work for you:

=Sum({$<business_date = {">=$(=Min(business_date)-1)<=$(=Max(business_date))"}>} Sales)

JG

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

When referencing variables in Set Analysis, you must use a hash. Try the following expression.

SUM( {$<business_date = {">$(#vMinDate) <$(#vMaxdate)"} >} Assets)

The reason Sum({$<business_date = {'>=Min(business_date)<Max(business_date)'}>}  didnt work for you is becasue MIN() or MAX() return a number and not a date so the Set Modifier doesnt match the format of the business_date field. Just wrap the date function around the MIN and MAX and it should work.

Regards

Haider

Not applicable
Author

Try using double quotes instead of single quotes. Or prepare and send a sample document to play with.

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Raghu,

May be the Date formats for business_date and Date($(vMinDate)) is different.  Check this.

Or

you arrive date in number format by using Num(), so that it would be easier in set analysis.

if business_datenum is date field in numeric format then the expression is

=Sum({$<business_datenum={'>$(=vMinDate)<$(=vMaxDate)' >} Assets)

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.

Not applicable
Author

Hello Haider,

This expression SUM( {$<business_date = {">$(#vMinDate) <$(#vMaxdate)"} >} Assets)

does not seem to work. It keeps giving me 0 for all range selection.

I just tried SUM( {$<business_date = {">$(#vMinDate)"} >} Assets) and does not work either.

Pls help.

Thanks

Raghu

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jagan,

Here is one sample QVW file attached. I ahve converted the business_date in load script to numeric. This is because as suggested on one of the posts above, that the min(business_date) and max(business_date) functions return numeric values.

I want to sum up all the values of Sales, for a selected data range. The only point to be noted is that the start date of my sales sum is 1 day before the min day of the select date range. So you will notice a -1 being done in the text box expression. so if user select dates from 4-14th Dec, my sum needs to be for 3-14th dec.

I am also attaching the excel file that I create to load the data in QVW.

Not sure why this is not working.

Thanks

Raghu

Not applicable
Author

Hi raghuvansh,

This expression should work for you:

=Sum({$<business_date = {">=$(=Min(business_date)-1)<=$(=Max(business_date))"}>} Sales)

JG

Not applicable
Author

Hey Juan,

This works perfectly. The difference in my and yours formula is Syntax as I can see. Does it mean I was using incorrect syntax only?

Can you share some best practices on the syntax or general guidelines so that I can take care in future pls?

Thanks

Raghu

Not applicable
Author

Yes, I have changed only the expression.

Try with this document http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-1867: It has the basics about Set Analysis and Dollar Sign Expansion.

JG