Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Data extraction for Qlikview

Hello,

i was just wondering, what would be the best way to extract data from any production database for the use of QV.

Says - we have a CRM system, and we will use QV to build dashboard with its data. so, we can either -

1. Extract the data from CRM system to a database and let QV to access it.

2. Let QV access the CRM system directly and do all the data manipulation in QV

and the concern for first one is, do we really need the extract db? although we get to simplify QV's data loading part.

for the second, would it affects the CRM system (probably not), but, would it overstress QV to do what it's suppose to do?

share your thoughts and experience....

4 Replies
pdumas
Partner - Contributor III

Hi Nick,

It is better to test your Load script on a copy of the production Database.

For production purposes, if the reload is done by Qlikview only at night, I would recommend to load directly from the production DB. Load script normally only browses data with simple SQL statement. This should not impact a production DB.

Advantages are:

- Less computer resources used : Avoid a daily copy and an additional Database

- Batch duration will use less time (one copy of data from production to Qlikview instead of 2 copies : from production to replica and from replica to Qlikview)

However, I have exactly the same debate in my company. The CRM admin does not want me to access the production DB with qlikview and it really does not matter, as long as the replica DB is available with fresh data at the time I launch the Qlikview reload.

Best regards

Pierre

Not applicable
Author

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for your response.

So, are you currently accessing the production directly?

In my current structure, i have a replica, because i'm building DTS in SQL db to filter data and perform some data cleansing check... i really don't want to do those in QV to complicate its loading script.

how do you see it ?

pdumas

Hi Nick,

A script access the production DB at night to reload QVDs. The application is then rebuild from the QVD files.

It is more convenient for me to have all the application logic in the application rather than part in the DB and part in the reload script. The opportunity of this choice is project/company dependant. I have no DBA in my team...

The main advantages I find to the QVD architecture are :

- The application is faster to build from QVD than from SQL.

- The application can be reloaded in a Dev environment without accessing the Database. This is really comfortable when I am not connected to the company network.

Regards

Pierre.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Pierre,

I have started a discussion over the same topic what you have mentioned here. could you please share your thoughts for the same. The link is: http://community.qlik.com/message/311144#311144

Thanks & Regards,

Anosh Nathaniel