Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Calling a sheet object in a variable

I asked this question in another thread, but it deserves it's own thread, I think.

Is there a way to point to an object ID, and then a column in that object, in a variable?

Something like:

= (ObjectID(ColumnNumber)) ?

7 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

You can try with getcell function..

I am not yet tried it.

This below example I got it from API guide:

set table = ActiveDocument.GetSheetObject( "CH01" )

for RowIter = 0 to table.GetRowCount-1

for ColIter =0 to table.GetColumnCount-1

set cell = table.GetCell(RowIter,ColIter)

msgbox(cell.Text)

next

next

Karthik

Not applicable
Author

By writing macro , Its working..

Sub StraightTableCell

set table = ActiveDocument.GetSheetObject( "CH01" )

set cell = table.GetCell(1,1)

msgbox(cell.Text)

End Sub

Not applicable
Author

Karthiks, could you break down exactly what that is doing?

I have a straight table called "RC", and the field is "column(10)", if you can possibly use that info and show me how to do it?

Not applicable
Author

Here's a picture of the table I'm referring to.

See the "RC02 Min Percentage" cell? That does a calculation to determine the lowest percentage value of all the values in the table.

I need to call to that, in a bar chart. I have about 10 of these straight tables, and I need to show each table's lowest percentage value inside of the bar chart.

I'm hoping there's a way to set a variable to that table's cell (which is called column(10)), and then call the variable inside of the bar chart.

Untitled.jpg

Not applicable
Author

I guess my question is, how does the variable know which table I'm talking about?

In the "RC02 Min Percentage" column, the expression just says "if ((Column(3)<=Column(5)), Column(3), Column(5))"... It's a simple if statement to pull the min value down.

If I put that in the variable, it won't know which of my 10 tables I'm talking about. They all have columns.

Is there a better, more distinct way to do the min, that the variable would know which fields I'm speaking of, in which tables?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

It doesn't. If you want to reuse an expression don't use column references. Use variables that are chart (-layout) independant. For example:

vExpr1: sum(Value1)

vExpr2: sum(Value2)

vExpr3: rangemax( $(vExpr1), $(vExpr2))

Column3: $(vExpr1)

Column5: $(vExpr2)

RC02 Min Percentage: $(vExpr3)

An expression in some other chart: $(vExpr3). If that chart uses the same dimensions it will return the same value.

edit:

The $ is to force evaluation of the variable. It's called dollar expansion. You can see how that works by trying it out in a text box =vVariance versus =$(vVariance).

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

okay I think I see what you're saying - could you humor me, and tell me how I would set it up, in my example?

I'm pretty confused when it comes to variables and how to set them up, and I'm only about 2 weeks new to Qlikview. lol.

Would I make a variable for column 3 and 5, and put the same expression I now have in those columns inside of the variable?

Does the $ make the variable know it's a value I'm returning, I think?

Then, I can call to the variable in my bar chart, and return the value in the variable?

Thanks a ton for this, by the way.