Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Select in Hierarchy

Hi All,

Need one help. I have a hierarchy with 5 dimension. This hierarchy is used in a straight table.

is there a way to dynamicaly have a calculated dimension populated with field values of the current level of the hierarchy?

So if I am at Dim3 level in the hierarchy, the calculated dimension should have the values of Dim 3 field.

I was trying to use getFieldSelections(getCurrentField(ProductHierarchy)) but it does not work. Any thoughts please?

Thanks

Raghu

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

See attached qvw. Is that what you're talking about?

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Dear Raghu,

Kindly post example file for more clarification.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Is there a reason you can't use a Drill-down group? You can create groups on the Dimensions tab of the properties window. Add the dimensions that make up your hierarchy to the group and use the group as a dimension in your chart. If you click on a value in the group dimension the chart will drill down to the next level of the hierarchy.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Gysbert,

you are right in this approach. However I was trying to achieve a different functionality. I do not want the chart to be drillable, but the straight table should be drillable and use the drill group.

Hence I wanted to set the bar chart dimension based on the level of drill down group dynamically. Hope I was able to elaborate correctly.

Thanks

Raghu

Gysbert_Wassenaar

See attached qvw. Is that what you're talking about?

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Gysbert.

Thats exactly what I wanted

I have one question for you:

=$(=GetCurrentField(MyGroup))

I get the GetCurrentField(MyGroup) piece of code. But why were we required to put the $(= before that. Will it not evaluate directly without that? I assume that all functions evaluate directly.

Or I am missing something very basic here?

Thanks

Raghu

Gysbert_Wassenaar

If you use =GetCurrentField(MyGroup) then the name of the field is used as value instead of as field name for the dimension. It's not very basic, so don't worry about missing something. I first tried without the $(= too. I saw what happened and tried using dollar-expansion next. That did gave me the result I wanted.

Not applicable
Author

great..thanks Gysbert!