Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Find where a QVD is created or saved

How do you do when you come to an unfamiliar environment badly documented?

I often run into two types of questions that I would be thrilled if they could be answered in some way, perhaps through som QlikView analyzation tool.

1. In what QVW:s is a certain QVD created or saved? What is your approach in this matter?
  2. In what QVW:s is a field renamed with AS or changed in any other way? I usually have do do some detective work starting from the End user application and seek my way backwards. As a developer I think this is a common problem, or am I wrong?

Many thank's in advance.

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Governance DashBoard will help you a lot. you can download it here:

http://market.qlik.com/qlikview-governance-dashboard.html

hope it helps

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for the hint. I will look into it.

Not applicable
Author

It seems to require version 11. We use latest SR on version 10. Anybody tried out the Governance Dashboard on version 10?

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

For QVDs this is what I do:

• Create text file file on your desktop and name it "more.bat"
  • insert the line "more %1" (without the quotes) into the text file using Notepad or other text editor
  • Now drag the qvd file and drop it on the more.bat file

This will display the XML header of the QVD file in a CMD window. Near the top of the XML is the name of the QVW that created the file, and if you scroll down the XML, you will find the complete lineage information, including the SQL query or load statement used to create the QVD table.

For QVWs, I use an adapted version of the meta data qvw called "Metascanner" which is available on this site. And yes, this works with V10 (SR2 or later, not SR1 and IR).

Regards

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Cant help you i only tried it with sr1 & 2 v11