Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to Group Values within a Field and show on Bar Chart

Hi,

I have a chart with two dimensions ("Region", "Case Type") and one expression ("Hours"). My chart currently looks like below:

FSR Duration ScreenShot.PNG

The numbers on the Y-axis denote the "Hours". X-axis has the "Region" values and different "Case Type"s are stacked for each region (each case type colored differently).

I'd like to know if I can put a number of these "case type"s into different groups. Do you have any suggestions on how to achieve this?

To give an example - Let's say "Case Type" dimension has a total of 5 values: AB, CD, EF, GH, IK. What I'd like to do is group these different fields - like 'AB' and 'CD' become 'Field_1', 'EF' and 'GH' become 'Field_2', and 'IK' stays as 'IK'. In the end, I'd like to show these grouped values ('Field_1', 'Field_2' and 'IK') stacked for each region (3 colors instead of 5 colors for each region).

I can't use grouping, since grouping works for different fields and I'm trying to group different values for a field.

Thanks in advance,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

If you nest if statements you need to make sure all the parentheses match:

=If(Match([Case Type], 'AB EXAMPLE', 'EXAMPLE CD'), 'Field 1',

If(Match([Case Type], 'EF', 'GH'), 'Field 2',

If(Match([Case Type], 'EF EXAMPLE', 'EXAMPLE GH'), 'Field 3',

If(Match([Case Type], 'DD EXAMPLE', 'EXAMPLE EE'), 'Field 4',

If(Match([Case Type], 'DC EXAMPLE'), 'Field 5', 'IK EXAMPLE')))))

That said, you should probably create an extra field in the script using a mapping table and applymap. That will perform a lot better than if statements nested four levels deep.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Create either a new field in the script or a calculated dimension in your chart (the former is the better option). Something like:

if(match([Case Type],'AB','CD'),'Field_1',if(match([Case Type],'EF','GH'),'Field_2','IK'))

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your answer Gysbert. I'm using the calculated dimension method however it gives me a syntax error.

I'm using this expression in the "Edit Expression" window:

If(Match([Case Type], 'AB', 'CD'), 'Field_1', If(Match([Case Type], 'EF', 'GH'), 'Field_2', 'IK'))

Am i doing something wrong?

MayilVahanan

HI

Expression is correct.

=If(Match([Case Type], 'AB', 'CD'), 'Field_1', If(Match([Case Type], 'EF', 'GH'), 'Field_2', 'IK'))

Can you post a sample file or screenshot ur expression with error msg?

Thanks & Regards, Mayil Vahanan R
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
Gysbert_Wassenaar

If you get a syntax error the most likely cause is that Case Type is not the name of your dimension. You posted that Case Type was the dimension so that's what I used. Replace Case Type with the exact name of your dimension.

Not applicable
Author

no, that's not the problem.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the answer Mayil. I'm not writing that exact expression (which I gave as an example above). Sorry for not being very clear.

This is the expression that I'm writing in the "Calculated Dimension" - Dimension name and field names are modified (I'm using QlikView 11) :

=If(Match([Case Type], 'AB EXAMPLE', 'EXAMPLE CD'), 'Field 1', If(Match([Case Type], 'EF', 'GH'), 'Field 2',

If(Match([Case Type], 'EF EXAMPLE', 'EXAMPLE GH'), 'Field 3', If(Match([Case Type], 'DD EXAMPLE', 'EXAMPLE EE'), 'Field 4', If(Match([Case Type], 'DC EXAMPLE'), 'Field 5', 'IK EXAMPLE'))

Not applicable
Author

Can you upload the sample application

Gysbert_Wassenaar

If you nest if statements you need to make sure all the parentheses match:

That said, you should probably create an extra field in the script using a mapping table and applymap. That will perform a lot better than if statements nested four levels deep.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Gysbert,

Thanks for the tip. I have one more requirement in the below expression.

For Eg: If Field 2 does not have any value, it is not getting displayed in the chart. I have tried removing the Suppress Null option. But it did not work out.

I want to have Field 2 and it should show as zero. How can I achieve it? Thanks in advance.