Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using variables in Load statement

Hi , I'm trying to limit the data that gets loaded into a view. I have created a couple of variables that represent outstanding quantity and un-invoiced quantity. However , when I try and included them in the load ( if either are greater than zero ) they are not recognised. When I look at the variables available in the script they do not appear. Is it not possible to do this or have I not defined them correctly ? Many thanks. Simon

4 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Simon,

It's difficult to give the right answer without checking the code, but anyway, yours should look like this

// Variable definition and assignment

SET vHighLimit = 3000;

SET vLowLimit = 50;

// WHERE clause in the LOAD statement using both variables

Invoices:

LOAD InvoiceID,

CustomerID,

Date,

Amount

WHERE Amount >= $(vLowLimit) AND Amount <= $(vHighLimit);

SQL SELECT InvoiceID,

CustomerID,

Date,

Amount

FROM db.Table;

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Just to make things right, there is one small mistake:

Instead of

WHERE Amount >= $(vLowLimit) AND Amount <= $(vHighLimit);

you shoud write

WHERE Amount >= '$(vLowLimit)' AND Amount <= '$(vHighLimit)';

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

Thanks for noting, but that will only apply if the WHERE Amount is expecting a literal or a string, if it's expecting a numeric value, then you must not use the quotes. And since the Amount field usually stores numeric values, therefore my use of the variables without quotes.

Actually, depending on the driver and the database, using the quotes is casting the value in the variable to string, and it might make the load slower, as the driver has to prior cast the value to numeric, then compare to match the WHERE clause.

Regards,

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

before using the variable in the load statement of script, set a field level trigger on the particular field whose value will be stored in variable.

Add on select action as set variable.

gr1.png

Give the variable name. and in expression mention the field name.

using it in the load statement will fetch the desired results.