Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Getting rid of the "Module Security for Document" window

I created a macro that pulls in stock price from a webservice. It works great except that when a new user tries to access the document from Server 8.5, a "Module Security for Document" window appears. I select "Allow any Macro(only for trusted documents)" and "Always use this option for documents from the Qlikview Server", but it continues to show up for each user.

How do I stop this message from appearing. I have set Module Security to "System Access" and "Allow System Access" in the Edit Module. I set "Can Execute External Programs" in the Edit Script. I also set "Module (Allow CreateObject and File Access)", "Script((Allow Database Write and Execute Statements)", "Launch" and "File" in User Preferences.

Any suggestions?

10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I'm not sure it is a good idea to stop this message. After all, it appears only once per user per machine, and it does make sense. You can stop the message by addinga registry key in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\QlikTech\QlikView\Settings 7
Keyname: OverrideModuleSecurity
Type: REG_SZ
You'll have to do it for every user, so it looks to me like more trouble than simply accept the regular module security dialog.

Not applicable
Author

Michael,

How do you feel about Stefan's macro for globally overriding macro security?

http://www.qlikblog.at/523/qliktip-19-suppressing-macrosecurity-module-security-dialog-qlikviewserve...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Tyler,
What Steven suggests surely will work, only it is not a macro, at least not a macro within QlikView document. To run a QV macro that changes registry, you have to allow macro (with system access), that means you're back to square one... You have to run this script from outside of QV. In the same way, you can create a VB script for the registry that I described above.
The advantage of this approach - user doesn't need to know anything about registry. Just execute the script, and it will do all the changes. It certainly makes sense.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Michael. I found where to do this on my local machine. however, is this document and server specfic? We have multiple production servers and multiple documents on each. Will adding that key in the Settings 7 folder do the trick for all?

(I also have a "Settings for QlikView Servers" folder with two subfolders "Module Script Safe" and "Module Script System". In each folder there is a serverspecific registry (with no value set).

Thanks again for your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

It is a little different for Server. Here is a quote from my document:

Checkbox "Always use this option for documents from this QlikView Server" is available when opening a server-based application. Once answered for one document, the dialog doesn't appear anymore for any other document on the same server. Registry records for server is here:
HKCU\Software\QlikTech\QlikView\Settings for Qlikview Servers\Module Script Block\
and/or …\Module Script Safe\
and/or …\Module Script System\
And the values will be the names of the QV servers.
I'm saying and/or not because there could be Safe and Block and System for the same server, but because user may be connecting to the different servers - and use, for example, Safe for some servers, and System for the others.

Not applicable
Author

Michael,

I am impressed by your wealth of knowledge! Thanks again. I walked a user through the change.

(Also, I enjoy your reference to Mr. Poe and analysis. Too bad QlikView doesn't have an optional "Corporate Culture Change" add-on that you can install as well -- to take data consumers to the level of analysis...)

Not applicable
Author

Sorry to barrage you with questions, but when does a change to the registry file take effect? Does QV Server service need to be restarted? Does a user need to logoff and log back on to the local network?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The change takes effect immediately. It should be applied on clients' boxes, not on server. That's what Stefen's solution is about. It makes exactly this cange. It is simpler for users to run the script than manually make the changes.
Notice that he's using QlikOxc instead QlikView - it depends on what client you're actually using.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

about the first solution : adding a Key OverrideModuleSecurity in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\QlikTech\QlikView\Settings 7
I've two questions :

1) what should be the Value of the key (the name is OverrideModuleSecurity, the type REG_SZ but should be the value) ?

2) What is the difference between this solution and adding a key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\QlikTech\QlikOcx\Settings for Qlikview Servers ?

Best regards