Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Cant get a field based on dinamic string

I have a cyclic group of fields named A_A2 wich has the following fields:

Q8_Label

Q10_Label

Q11_Label

Now I want to avg the same fields in the expression and tried something like this formula:

=avg(Replace(getcurrentfield(A_Q2),'Label','Value'))

to get

avg(Q8_Value)

avg(Q10_Value)

avg(Q11_Value)

whenever cyclic changes.

However this doesn't work because Replace(getcurrentfield(A_Q2),'Label','Value') is always recognized as string. I tried to search for something to force it to be seen as a field but couldn't find it on the formulas or on Qlikcommunity.

Is this even possible? It seems simple enough but I can't make it work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kind regards,

Nuno

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

As you noted, the replace function returns a string but you want to calculate the average of the field (which the string represents). In this case, you want to use dollar sign expansion with evaluate. The expression will look like this:

=avg($(=Replace(getcurrentfield(A_Q2),'Label','Value')))

The $(= ... ) takes the result of the expression and places the contents of into the expression. Think of it as copying the result (the string value 'Q8_Value') and replacing the $(= ... ) with the result (the final expression evaluated is avg(Q8_Value).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Not applicable
Author

As you noted, the replace function returns a string but you want to calculate the average of the field (which the string represents). In this case, you want to use dollar sign expansion with evaluate. The expression will look like this:

=avg($(=Replace(getcurrentfield(A_Q2),'Label','Value')))

The $(= ... ) takes the result of the expression and places the contents of into the expression. Think of it as copying the result (the string value 'Q8_Value') and replacing the $(= ... ) with the result (the final expression evaluated is avg(Q8_Value).

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Try $(=Replace(getcurrentfield(A_Q2),'Label','Value'))

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Great... it worked. Thanks both!