Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulm
Contributor III
Contributor III

Limit the amount of RAM QlikView Server uses

Hi,

I was wondering if I can limit the amount of RAM that QlikView Server uses?  I have limited the working set which I thought it would have limited it but it still seems to use all of the memory available. 

Currently using 10SR3

Thanks
Paul

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Paul,

No, there is no way to tell QVS to use only XX amount of memory.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Not applicable

,Hi

Instead of Limiting the RAM on Server , try to limit the Data that are going to be loaded.

Try to load only few quarters data instead of entire Quarters Data .

//Yusuf

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Paul,

Not sure why you would want to do this. This would just cause performance issues for the users.

Bill

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
paulm
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

HI Bill,

We have two applications on the server at present.  QlikView has a habit of using all the RAM and in turn crashing the other non qlikview application.  So yes I agree its obviously better to let QlikView use as much as it likes, I need to leave about 20% free for the other application.

Thanks
Paul

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

This is never advisable to run other non-qlikview applications on the same server as QlikView. QlikView is an in-memory analysis technology; memory requirements for QlikView products are directly related to the quantity of data being analyzed. I would recommend you move the other application to another server.

Bill

paulm
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi,

The other application is part of a solution that makes use our QlikView solution.  The cost of separation of the solution is quite sufficient for us, so we hoped to increase the RAM and number of CPU's, then limit how much QlikView can use of it.

Is it right to assume that there is no way of limiting the amount of RAM QlikView can use then?

Thanks
Paul

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Paul,

No, there is no way to tell QVS to use only XX amount of memory.

Bill

paulm
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Cheers Bill.  Thanks for your help.

Not applicable

Hi Bill,

It was a good Discussion going on.

Just need a help.

I seen couple of Videos do decide how exactly to determine the RAM size if we knew the Data Volume size

but i didn't got that much information .

If we consider only one User .

Do you know any Material or QlikView stuff which says that for this much amount of Data Volume you need to have 'X' GB size of RAM.

//Yusuf

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

There was an old rule of thumb, that if you look at the size of the unopen document in properties you can figure it.

Lets say the QVW is 100mb and we will have 10 users

100mb * 4 = 400mb to open document on server.

Each additional user adds 10%

10 user at 10% would be another 400mb

So to maintain the basic document with 10 users would be around 800mb.

Note: This does include the memory used as spikes as the users Qlick around in the document.

Bill