Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I install the QlikView Client Software on the QVS Server?

Hi

Our QlikView install is fairly new (version 11, just gone live) and we have just one pilot application running so far, with some success. Our two QVS administrators don't have a 64-bit PCs yet and won't for some time, unlike the Designers / Developers; so they cannot install the Client software locally. They don't do any design or development but need to be able to check document properties (security, hidden script, etc.).

They use RDP to access QMC and the server itself. Is there any harm in installing the client software onto the server (running Windows 2008 R2), so they can access document properties? Would it conflict with the server installation? Or is it wiser to install 32-but clients on their PCs with reduced data so they can open the documents?

Thanks

Ian

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

i've done this on many, many, many implementations.  typically you would prefer to install on a 'dev' server, and leave your production server without the thick client.  but i've worked with both.  depends on your restrictions.  but technically, there's no problem.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

i've done this on many, many, many implementations.  typically you would prefer to install on a 'dev' server, and leave your production server without the thick client.  but i've worked with both.  depends on your restrictions.  but technically, there's no problem.

smoon63
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Agreed. Having QV Desktop on the server is also very handy when a reload job throws a cryptic error, while the same file reloads without issue on your development PC.

Scott

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

I always install the client in the server. It's also useful to generate production connection strings. look at QVDs that might be giving problems, etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you all for your replies. That puts my mind at rest!

Ian