Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Pass variable from user to script?

I have a script that has two variables, StartDate and EndDate. Right now, they are hard coded for testing, but obviously I want the users to be able to specify real dates in production.

I guess I could go and create new variables for all the data variables in the script (like NewEquipAdd, NewEmpAdd, etc.) but right now I just specify StartDate and EndDate at the top of the script, and use constructions like "NewEquipAdd >= $(StartDate) AND NewEquipAdd <= $(EndDate)", so I'd like to keep that for simplicity.

Is there a way for the user to:

1 - Specify new start and end dates,

2 - pass those values to my script variables, and

3 - reload the script with the new variable values?

Thanks for your help,

Kevin

15 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Not sure if this helps, but there is actually a system function in QV to query the user for input:

Let vDate = Input('Enter Start Date (MM/DD/YYYY)' , 'Input required');

Not applicable
Author

Stefan!

That's the answer - so simple! I knew there had to be an easier way to do it; I didn't realize this was how.

Thanks so much!

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your help, but as I explained above, in my tables, there are no dates; there are only sums of counts made between start date and end date. So there are no date ranges in the tables to select from.

Stefan's answer does exactly what I want - asks the user for start and end dates, pops them into the script, and loads the data. Simple!

Not applicable
Author

Hi Swuehl,

Is some thing like this possible on the front end too? I am trying to work the following scenario.

Scenario:

I have a hierarchy which comprise of 10 Front Line Managers and 15 to 18 Employees who work under each of them. I want the user to be able to select a Line Manager and/or some Employees under one or many Line Managers to form a test group. Once this group is established I want to use the excluded values to establish my control group?

Is this possible without changing the script?

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks and Regards

Rahul Lakhina

Not applicable
Author

Hi all,

I use input functin in qlikview scirpt to pass the variable run time while executing the script.

If suppose I want to reload the qvw using QlikView Publisher, how would I pass that variable. Kindly advise.

Thanks,

Surendra

nagarjuna005
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Swuehl,

Your solution is working in my local desktop , but i want to do the same in QMC .

how to do it could u please explain.

Thanks for your help