Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Bad AJAX performance in Internet Explorer 8

Hello,

I'm facing a performance issue in AJAX in Internet Explorer 8.0 on my enterprise deployment. We are running QlikView 11.2 IR in a 2 server setup - QVS on one server and Publisher in another.

When I open a QV workbook in AJAX it takes about 15 secounds from clicking the workbook until it is fully loaded.

When using the IE Plugin it takes between 4-5 secounds for the same procedure.

The QV workbook, which is a dashboard with a lof of graphs is a relatively small application in terms of data size - the workbooks are only approximately 3-5 megabytes.

The server running the QVS itself is a relatively largescale server with 32 cores and 128 GB Ram (or maybe more, cannot remember).

So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the performance in AJAX? Or is this a known issue?

Couldn't really find anything on this issue in the community.

Thanks a lot!

7 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Yep, this is a known issue.  The AJAX client in IE 8 does not seem to give very good performance.

If you can try it under IE9 you should see much better performance.

If you can't use IE9, try a non MS browser, again, you'll see better performance.

If you are corporately locked into IE8, you might get SOME minor improvements by changing some settings on the server.  Contact QlikTech support desk, they have suggested about six things to try.

Not applicable
Author

Yep, this is a known issue.  The AJAX client in IE 8 does not seem to give very good performance.

If you can try it under IE9 you should see much better performance.

If you can't use IE9, try a non MS browser, again, you'll see better performance.

If you are corporately locked into IE8, you might get SOME minor improvements by changing some settings on the server.  Contact QlikTech support desk, they have suggested about six things to try.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for your input.

Yes, the organization is corporately locked into IE 8, so I guess the only thing to try at the moment are the QlikTech suggestions.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Adam, are you using 64-bit or 32-bit IE?  I've seen, at least with IE 9, that the 32-bit browser doesn't have the same performance issues that the 64-bit version does.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

Yes, performance with IE8 is not as good as IE9, the reason is that IE8 does not perform very well with applications utilizing Asynchronous javascript and XML(Ajax).

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Another head-scratch moment for Microsoft and the IE team.

Not applicable
Author

Noisy Nick,

What are the 6 things you mentioned to try on the server to get around the bad performance?  Can you share with us please?

Thanks - RT