Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Test Server required for upgrade?

Dear Community,

Interested in your feedback on this.

We have been (happily) using version 8 for a while.  Our company have started using Salesforce.com and I think I need to be on a newer version of QV to take advantage of the connector.

In order to do this we need to purchase additional hardware for the new version as V11 requires more oomph.

My plan was to install QV11 on the new hardware, migrate and test then when ready turn off the old server.

My thought was to use a 'temporary/evaluation' license for less than a week on the new hardware and version to prove it works them move the 'real' license to the new hardware and be done.  I have done a similar process before when moving from an older version to version 8.

I am being told now though that this is no longer possible and I need to purchase a test server for this purpose.  A test server costs 50% of cost of your production server license.  This is a lot of money.

Is this correct?

Accepting the fact that having a 'Test/Development' environment and a production environment is in itself probably not a bad idea, how are others managing this upgrade?  Do you simply shutdown your existing QV environment until such times as the new environment is back?  Do you purchase the test server?

Any thoughts an opinions greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Nicole-Smith

We didn't have to purchase a test server when we upgraded to QV11.  They gave us a free trial license for QV11 that we were able to use for a month (and they also extended it for us when we needed longer than a month).

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Have you talked to your account manager about this? The license you have now will not work with Version 11 and you would have to contact your account manager to get this updated as well.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Nicole-Smith

We didn't have to purchase a test server when we upgraded to QV11.  They gave us a free trial license for QV11 that we were able to use for a month (and they also extended it for us when we needed longer than a month).

Not applicable
Author

Is my account manager that same as my Inside Sales Executive?

If so then yes I've talked to my account manager (for the first time yesterday), it's just the answer I don't like and am asking the community to confirm or determine what others have done.

Of course your answer raises another point.  If I need to get new license numbers for V11 anyway, does that automatically mean my old license numbers expire immediately?  Can they not expire 'in a little while'

Not applicable
Author

Yes we have TEST Licenses that we had to purchase and use.  It gives us the same rights as our Prod servers and allows us more control to one keep updated on new versions of QV as they come out and also test out new functionality.  Other than the fact that they watermark charts and such with test is the only thing different from our prod environment. 

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, I haven't actually got it yet, but did get approval for a 30 eval/trial license whilst I verify that new matches old.