Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Display (a box with) additional pieces_of_information inside a diagram

Hi,

I am facing the following challenge:

I have a diagram which I have currently put into a container, together with a second one. The trick is, I can put only ONE object in every compartment <-> I would like to display (a box with) additional pieces_of_information in the first diagram - a number of variables, so I could principally put it in a textbox or whatever I like - but as it is within a container which I have drawn as big as possible on the sheet, the box is currently inside the diagram (or container) area - so when I select the other tab of the container to view the second diagram, this box remains visible and it now covers the data.

I cannot group objects like I can in Excel (except for dragging or aligning them) and I cannot make QlikView regard them as one object, can I?

Is there any way I can get those additional pieces_of_information in a nice-looking form into my diagram, so that they are displayed only when this compartment of the container is open, but not when the other one is open?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

6 Replies
Not applicable

Hi,

if I were you I would not use a container

I would put buttons to make appear or disapear the diagram and txt box I want

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Instead of using a seperate text box, can you use the "Text in Chart" feature to put the extra data in the chart?

-Rob

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi yadurand,

good idea, but I am under severe time restrictions, so I cannot think of redoing it all - for now.

I actually had sth like what you propose in the very beginning, but I cannot return to it now: I have a cycle_group now and at some point I had three different formulas, each one with a condition, a variable to govern them and a button to change the variable. I would do it that way again if I had the time.

I have found a way though it doesn't look quite as nice (I cannot use a frame and drop_shadow and all that): There is the possibility of adding free text to a diagram ("presentation" tab of the properties dialog). That free text can also contain formulas.

It was quite time-consuming, but I copied all the formulas one by one from my variables and put them in that free_text_area, separated by linebreaks (chr(10)) and formatted the background and all I could.

The result, as I said, does not look quite as nice as a textbox, but at least now I have but one element and there is no disturbance on the other sheet.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

P.S.: This is what you (Rob Wunderlich) were/ are going to propose right now 😉

Not applicable

Hi Friedrich,

I had not thought of it before but I think you can use a macro triggered to hide or show your textbox depending of what object is shown in your container

Using something like that :

Set ContainerObj= ActiveDocument.GetSheetObject("CT01") '

set ContProp=ContainerObj.GetProperties      

'get index of currently active tab/object of container

activeIndex= ContProp.SingleObjectActiveIndex

if activeIndex=0 then

go see http://community.qlik.com/thread/30250 there is an interesting example for you I think

Not applicable

Well, I just realized you can't trigger on activate object in V11, so don't pay attention to my answer if you're in V11

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Thank you all!

Since I am under time restrictions, I will leave it as it is for now. I have created some "text in chart" items and just added formulas to background_colour and text_colour to make them blend into the background when the user has made any selection so I don't risk showing values which are calculated and in that case wrong.

The only backdraw is that I cannot make the background_colour a colormix, these options are not active.

Best regards,

DataNibbler