Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Problem with Count( If ( validFrom < CalDate and validTo > CalDate ), CustomerId )

My Customer records have validFrom and validTo values that I need to take in account when displaying customer amounts for time period.

When I set a single day as dimension and Count( If ( validFrom < CalDate and validTo > CalDate), CustomerId ), I get a graph that looks right.

But when I change my dimension to CalFirstDayOfMonth, the results are duplicated by 30, 31 or 28 (365 if I use year as dimension). I know I could use Count ( Distinct ... ), but this slows everything down too much.

My Calendar-table and Customer-tables are not linked, so why does that if statement produce a hit for each day, instead of just one hit given the dimension being rendered?

3 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi mlindman ,

Try this

=Count({<calDate={<validTo>validFrom}>}CustomerId)

I hope it works

Not applicable
Author

I changed your suggestion lightly:

=Count ( { <calDate = { "<validTo>validFrom" }>} CustomerId)

This no longer gives "count hits" for each day of the month, but it doesn't seem to actually check the statement for each month-dimension: I get value of 1 for each month, even though validFrom and validTo should limit it to just certain months.

Not applicable
Author

It seems that these suggestions don't actually run the comparison for each dimension value, just once for the whole chart. If I have validFrom 2001-01-01 , validTo 2002-01-01, it will still count for years 2003, 2004 etc.