Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Displaying Attributes on Bar Charts

I have a simple bar charts that has two dimension, date and the sector and one expression which is the performance. The Date is the x-axis and the performance as the y-axis. The dimension limit is set on the sector to show only the largest performaning sector.

The aim of the chart is to show the best performing sector each day. However as the x-axis is the date and the y-axis is the performance I would like to show the sector on each bar? How can I do this? I can show the performance number on each Bar by selecting (Values on Data Points) on the performance expression. Is there anyway to show the sector on each Bar?

6 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

You can probably use the dual() function for this. It creates a dual value with a text and a number representation. Change your expression to something like dual( Sector, myexpression ). If you want both the sector and the performance shown you can try something like

dual( Sector & ': '& myexpression , myexpression )

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Gysbert

Maybe I'm doing something wrong as I can't seem to see any difference when using the dual() function.

I've changed the expression as you suggested to Dual(Sector & ':' & Sum(performance), sum(performance)).

But the bar chart still just shows the performance (i.e. SUM(Performance)).

I also added the same expression to the Show Value property of the Expression, but it made no difference.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Ah, yes. You'd need to enable plot values inside segments to show the dual value. But that probably doesn't look very pretty. You can use a combi chart with a second expression to show the dual values. See attached example.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Nearly Perfect Gysbert

Thank you for the example - that works well.

But is it possible for the text(sector names) to be aligned verticaly on top of the Bar, as some of the sector names are long?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Check the option Vertical on the Presentation tab (in the Values on Data Points section) to show the values vertically.

A better option may be to change the orientation of the bar chart so the bars are displayed horizontally. That's probably a lot easier to read.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Perfect - that is very helpful - thank you very much.