Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView server - AD Service account permission

Hi,

We are running QlikView server version 11.0.11414.0 on Windows 2008 R2 Standard Edition (x64).

All the components are installed on a single server.

QlikView Management Service (QMS)

QlikView Directory Service Connector (DSC)

QlikView Distribution Service (QDS)

QlikView Server (QVS)

QlikView Web Server (QVWS)

When we try to run the 5 QlikView services (as above) under a AD Service account, they do not restart properly.

The only service which restarts properly is the QlikView Server (QVS).

All the other services starts but fails/crashes immediately.

The only solution at this time is to make the Service account as a Local Admin on the server (or) to run the other 4 services under "Local System".

I have provided the required permissions as per the QV11 Infrastructure -Minimum Security Requirements.pdf document.

I have also provide the service account with COM permissions.

We have a policy which restricts the Service account to have Admin privileges on the server.

Kindly let me know if there is any other change I need to perform so that the Services can run under a AD Service account.

Thanks in Advance,

Kums.

14 Replies
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Kums, from the first paragraph of the document you mentioned it does say "QlikView Server services are designed to run as local Administrator" so I'd take that as an official recommendation.

Have you checked to see if there were any errors on either any of the services log files or the windows event viewer? That might give you a hint on what permissions are missing.

Ricardo_Gerhard
Employee
Employee

Ok Kumaran,

I´m Certified Qlikview System Administrator and work with Qlikview a few years. I install since small to big enviroments and never work without local administrator.

Look in your document mentioned: "This document explain workarounds only to be used in special circumstances and will only work with default Windows installations without any global policies and/or customized lockdowns. QlikView Server services are designed to run as local Administrator."

Sorry, but it is a WAD, work as design.

Ricardo Gerhard
OEM Solution Architect
LATAM
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi  Kumaran,

Please know that according to the documentation the service account has to be a member of an local Administrator group. If you have followed "QV11 Infrastructure -Minimum Security Requirements.pdf" and it doesn't work you have policies in place that doesn't allow the user to do things that are required. Also, if you look at the document it states "I would recommend that the installation first be done with a Service account that does have Administrator rights first. Then all functionality can be tested before setting everything as follows."

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

The Minimum security re.. pdf is a suggestion and a workaround, not a supported scenario.

It´s very clearly stated that Qlikview is designed to run with Administrator privleges.

And I would assume in your case that you have policies that interfear with the Minimum requirements.

Not applicable
Author

Indeed, i have just installed with the minimum requirements, and only after adding the QlikView Service Account user to Administrators Group on the server, the services start to work.

it is my first install.

Can i add an Active Directory Group to the Local "QlikView Administrators Group"