Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Terabyte Data Architecture Requirements

Greetings everyone

My client asked me to know the system and hardware requirements for a server dedicated to a specific tool within QlikView

The tool is basically reading huge amount of data coming from field tests and now that these are fully running they estimated they will produce around 500 GB of raw data each month.

In the demo and proof of concept we were running with a limited data set (around 3 GB) and the RAM used was around half (1.5 GB).

Ofc in the demo the script was not optimized yet and I believe we currently are taking a lot of data we don't need to load as well as better load them in memory as well as an external custom ETL software which will optimize and prepare the data for QlikView so probably a compression of 30% or less is achievable.

We will probably convince our customer that at some point the data will need to be dumped somewhere else and removed from QlikView (otherwise goodbye in memory analysis) but I believe they won't settle for less than one year of data (which would mean 6TB if the estimate was good).

My question here is if you have any experience with this sort of volumes

How are performances impacted by such an amount of data?

I obviously can't tell my customer he needs 2TB of RAM (roughly 30% of 6TB), do you think a sort of paging might be an option?

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Gio

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

You should contact your account manager and talk with him about your issues and concerns. He can then talk with the scalability Lab team.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Tony_Strano
Employee
Employee

HP servers running Intel can go up to 2TB in Memory so you could tell your customer he needs that.    But even so, how will the app perform?     This will have to be delivered taking into consideration an aggregrated view of the data just to get the size down so QlikView can perform well for the end user then to drill into detail when appropriate.    

No doubt a difficult task.  

Good luck!

Not applicable
Author

Reading through HP sites I see they can run up to 2 TB and might be scalable on up to 4 TB in the future.

We really are running around with some big data and the customer doesn't seem (or want) to realize it.

Thanks a lot Tony!

Gio

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

You should contact your account manager and talk with him about your issues and concerns. He can then talk with the scalability Lab team.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

In the end that's what I told my company to do.

Better safe than sorry isn't it?

Thanks a lot for your help everyone

Gio