Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Is it possible to select one chart in a container, and have its corresponding type chart display in a container next to it?

Hi All,

New to QV development, and was wondering if there is any way to select one chart in a container and have that selection affect which chart displays in other containers?

Take a quick look at the screenshot example, if you would... Right now I have my 'Truant' charts displaying in each of my 4 containers.

In order to view my 'Chronic' or my 'EEA' charts, I have to go around to each container and click on the right chart in it.

I would like to just click once somewhere and have it update the type of chart displayed in each of the containers. Is this possible? And if so, how would I do it? Thanks in advance..

image1.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Sure there's a way to do that.

You can use buttons to display your reports instead of containers.

You'll also need 1 variable that you'll use in the conditional show property of the charts, let's say vShow.

Triggering any of the buttons will set the related variable value and thus displaying only the related charts.

For example in your case, create 3 buttons: Truant, Chronic and EEA.

In their properties, go to Actions > Add > External > Set Variable.

Type in the variable field vShow and in the Value field type Truant (then Chronic for the 2nd button and EEA for the 3rd).

Now in each of the charts, go to their properties > Layout > Show > Conditional.

Type: Match(vShow, 'Truant'), etc...

That's it !

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Sure there's a way to do that.

You can use buttons to display your reports instead of containers.

You'll also need 1 variable that you'll use in the conditional show property of the charts, let's say vShow.

Triggering any of the buttons will set the related variable value and thus displaying only the related charts.

For example in your case, create 3 buttons: Truant, Chronic and EEA.

In their properties, go to Actions > Add > External > Set Variable.

Type in the variable field vShow and in the Value field type Truant (then Chronic for the 2nd button and EEA for the 3rd).

Now in each of the charts, go to their properties > Layout > Show > Conditional.

Type: Match(vShow, 'Truant'), etc...

That's it !

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

This is a way to go.

I'd suggest one more step.  Instead of creating three sets of conditional chart, create only one set, always visible, but with conditional expressions.  The fewer objects are in the application, the easier to maintain, lesser risk to overlook hidden objects.

Regards,

Michael

Not applicable
Author

Indeed Michael

If it's the same set of charts that's implemented for the 3 cases, then conditional expressions are the solution.

In case additional reports will be displayed only for one of the cases then the conditional show may prove useful.

Not applicable
Author

Brilliant, thanks so much! This community is pretty awesome

Not applicable
Author

This QlikView paper also has some useful ideas.  Option 2 may be appropraite.

http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-4379

Not applicable
Author

This solution is now working for me, but I thought I'd leave this comment here for any other newbies who stumble onto this page.

There was one step missing from jp's instructions, probably because it seemed like a given.

However, being so new to QV dev (and not having adequate training), I was unable to get this solution to work until I did one more step:

Settings > Document Properties > Variables > New...

I needed to create the variable 'vShow' before I could use it. Obvious in hindsight, but I hadn't been introduced to variables yet.