Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Category-wise aggregation

Hi,

I want to construct a bar_chart with specific employee data - overtime by employee. I don't yet know quite how to do this. Maybe someone can help me here:

- Every employee has a specific nr. of hrs. of overtime.

- I want to group overtime_hrs. into categories - 1-10 hrs., 11-20 hrs., 21 to 30 hrs.

- Then I want to display these categories as dimension on the x-axis and the nr. of employees in that category on the y-axis.

I know that I can group values using the aggr function. I have already used it and there is an excellent example in my book "QlikView 11 for Developers" - only I want to take this another step further: Instead of a nr. of overtime_hrs. as one dimension_point, I want to use a range.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the groups of hours will be fixed and the user doesn't expect to change them, then I would use INTERVAL MATCH to create intervals that that can then be set as a dimension on your chart.

See page 241 of QV11 developer manual for an explanation of it.

Jonathan

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the groups of hours will be fixed and the user doesn't expect to change them, then I would use INTERVAL MATCH to create intervals that that can then be set as a dimension on your chart.

See page 241 of QV11 developer manual for an explanation of it.

Jonathan

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi jonbroughavone,

that seems a very good idea. Those groups will be fixed - I will use fixed categories (1-10, 11-20, 21-30 etc.). If I understood that chapter correctly, then I wouldn't need to use the AGGR function at all, but INTERVAL MATCH would be enough - I could have my intervals (a label, start and end for each) in a table and just use the interval_label as dimension and the count(distinct nr) as my formula. Right?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, sounds like you understand how to use it. No need for aggr(), the dimensions created by the interval match, and a count as an expression. That shoud then give you different bars for the different hour groupings.

Jonathan

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Thanks a lot, jonbroughavone!

That's all I want to display - no personell_numbers, nothing to identify individuals. I use the AutoNumber function in the script to avoid loading the original personell_number while still having some unique ID to count. I have asked myself what is actually the point when, for lack of any identificator, the person viewing this will afterwards have to ask HR - but in my own interest, I want to touch as little real HR data as possible. 

Best regards,

DataNibbler