Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Section Access - restricting access based on two columns

Hi All!

This question has been asked already, gone unanswered and then archived 🙂 , here: http://community.qlik.com/forums/p/14817/57850.aspx#57850

Basically, I want users access to be based on two columns not just one.

e.g.

Sales data:

IDRegionType1RegionType2
1AA
2AA
3AB
4BB
5BA

User Access:

UserRegionAccess
PeteA
AndyB
RogerA
RogerB

I want Pete to have access based on region A, in both columns. So Pete should see records 1,2,3 & 5. Andy should see 3,4 &5, and Roger should see all of them.

Has anyone had the same need and found an answer yet?

Help would be much appreciated!

Jay.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Woah, sorry for the late reply Robbie, just saw your post! The quantity was not part of the security settings, but the sales data as you said. I was using it to check what was being loaded.

I spoke to a consultant about this, and the upshot is that this cannot be done. The way I fixed it was to do something similar to concatenating, namely have a third field in the database which identifies different sets of data based on both fields.

This was one of our early options, I had rejected it initially because I could not find a way of fixing that field in the filters, which caused data to double up if a value was not selected for the new field in the filters. The consultant showed me a way to do this which solved the problem.

Thanks for taking the time to work on this.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Not applicable
Author

A bit of further detail: The other thing is that I want to get a dataset of unique records if at all possible, like in a SQL OR query.

Not applicable
Author

Maybe something like this? Open with admin / admin.
Greetz Robbie

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for replying Robbie.

Okay, I've been trying to understand how concatenate works. The initial view looks good, and the regions give the records they are supposed to in my example above.

But I added a quantity field to see how the data is held, and it looks like the data is effectively doubled, and the ID listbox is just selecting distinct values, because if I sum the quantity by region, each region has twice the quantiy it should have. The same thing can be done by creating a third field and unioning the data in SQL. Thats why I needed to acutally select the data based on both fields.

Does that make sense? The way I expect to present this is to have one set of data without duplicates and show the sales data on one sheet with the RegionType1 filter, and on another sheet with a RegionType2 filter.

Jay.

Not applicable
Author

Anyone at all? A few people must have wanted to do this before!!

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jay,

Maybe I'm getting your case wrong, but why would add quantity to your security settings?
Shouldn't quantity be a part of your sales data? See attachment.

Greetz
Robbie

Not applicable
Author

Woah, sorry for the late reply Robbie, just saw your post! The quantity was not part of the security settings, but the sales data as you said. I was using it to check what was being loaded.

I spoke to a consultant about this, and the upshot is that this cannot be done. The way I fixed it was to do something similar to concatenating, namely have a third field in the database which identifies different sets of data based on both fields.

This was one of our early options, I had rejected it initially because I could not find a way of fixing that field in the filters, which caused data to double up if a value was not selected for the new field in the filters. The consultant showed me a way to do this which solved the problem.

Thanks for taking the time to work on this.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jay,

Can you explain how you got to achieve this? I need the same thing.