Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Alternate state wont work on sheet level

I have multiple sheets, and i dont want one of my sheets to be affected by other sheets selections.

But if i give me sheet an alternatestate called "LeaveMeAlone"

Then selections from other sheets is still possible.

What  am i doing wrong?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

=sum({$<"[DimCusto...

Yes, you're referencing the default state with the $. So all the fields where you don't use modifiers to overrule selections will use the selections of the default state. If you leave out the $, i.e. sum({<"[DimCusto..., you would use the inherited state.

Don't feel bad about it. It's a real gotcha. See this blog post:Set Analysis & Alternate States – Quick Tip

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Check that the objects on the sheet with the LeaveMeAlone alternate state have their alternate state set to <inherited>.

See attached qvw for an example.

Not applicable
Author

All my objects are inherited on the sheet.

The funny thing is that. My current selections are showing there are no filters on. But it filters my listboxes and chart.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Are you using set analysis in your charts, potentially referencing the default state?

This won't explain your list boxes showing your selections on a different sheet, though.

Are your objects updated when you do a selection on a different sheet?

And when you create a new list box on your "LeaveMeAlone" sheet and select a value?

Any chance that you can upload a small sample qvw that demonstrates your issue?

Not applicable
Author

ived attqached the file. sorry for it being so big. Couldnt figure out how to reduce it all..

Try to select something resource planning, then it will also be on pipeline (but not in current selections)

Pipeline has alternate state

I use set analysis yes, but should i refer to pipeline? and if yes, how?

I use alternate state on the last listbox, on one expression because only this expression should be affected by that listbox

Gysbert_Wassenaar

=sum({$<"[DimCusto...

Yes, you're referencing the default state with the $. So all the fields where you don't use modifiers to overrule selections will use the selections of the default state. If you leave out the $, i.e. sum({<"[DimCusto..., you would use the inherited state.

Don't feel bad about it. It's a real gotcha. See this blog post:Set Analysis & Alternate States – Quick Tip

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Yep, I think my assuption was correct.

You are using set analysis in your charts (and also in your field expressions in list boxes), for example:

only({$<Year={$(=Year(Today()))},"[DimCustomer].CustomerName"=[Customer]::"[DimCustomer].CustomerName" ....

Here you copy selection of CustomerName from alternate state Customer to your inherited state Pipeline. I haven't checked everything related, but I believe that's causing your problem.

Not applicable
Author

Oops, just look besides Customer:: it was some old stuff, i forgot to remove it.

But thanks, didnt know that $ was implicit default state. So i have to leave out $ in order to alternate state to work?

Not applicable
Author

Omg...Thats horrible! But still awesome...

Thanks alot