Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulm
Contributor III
Contributor III

Limit the amount of RAM QlikView Server uses

Hi,

I was wondering if I can limit the amount of RAM that QlikView Server uses?  I have limited the working set which I thought it would have limited it but it still seems to use all of the memory available. 

Currently using 10SR3

Thanks
Paul

15 Replies
Not applicable

Based on this old rule of thumb, if I have a document which takes 20GB of RAM, then for 100 users I will need

20 + 0.1*20*100 = 220GB

which I think is a bit exagerrated.

From what I've noticed, only the first few users might use 10% of the document size, with the following users using less and less.

For example:

- First 10 users:

20 + 0.1*20*10 = 40GB

- First 30 users:

40 + 0.05*20*20 = 60GB

- First 60 users:

60 + 0.03*20*30 = 78GB

- First 100 users

78 + 0.01*20*40 = 86GB 

I am curious to see what other people have experienced.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

Remember I said the old rule of thumb. This was from about 7 years ago. I am sure we have made  progress with this over the years.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable

Hi ,

One more thing ,As we know that the Processor can help in Processing the Data fast (similar to RAM) so just wanted to know  Do you think if there is any way that the Processor can play any role in the RAM memory usage means making the Usage to limit .

Can i use Processor as alternate option to RAM ?

If "YES" then is there any equation ot determine how many core( means dual core, quad core and so on) is equivalent to "X" size of RAM ?

//Yusuf

manojkvrajan
Luminary
Luminary

Yusuf

To get more int the Technical details - Processors may not be viable solution for your environment. Processors are used for computation of your expressions in your charts (or any QlikView object). RAM is to stack up the data based on your selections. RAM + Processors are the best solution and equation can be determined based on the Data size, No. of applications, Application and Architecture standards, No. of users and Network Bandwidth (Or connectivity) in your environment. Please remember Hardware spending may not be a solution. It is good to consider software configuration (QEMC) and Application Architecture inlcuding data model and scripting before spending any money on infrastructure

Bill made a good point. In addition, checking 'Allow Only One Copy of Document in Memory' settings in QEMC will let you to use limited RAM size close to actual size of the Application. Memory won't shoot up drastically when concurrent users use the application as selections are made on the preloaded application (qvw). However CPU may spike based on the computation / calculation time of your expressions and data model.

Not applicable

Hi,

One of my documents has started using an extreme amount of RAM and I can't figure out why.

The document is about 250Mb and with one user logged onto it the server RAM usage suddenly spirals up to 90gb and results in a "No connection" error. The server is ONLY used for qlikview. Any ideas what this could be?

Cheers,

CG

ramasaisaksoft

Hi Bill,

For my curia city, can you please show me the below statement in qlikview help guide?or Qlikview books please....

This is never advisable to run other non-qlikview applications on the same server as QlikView.