Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Pivot table: multible column widths for expr. X based on dim. Y

Hi!

I have thought a lot about the naming of this thread so hopefully it makes sense [:|]. I have the following pivot table object in the enclosed QV application:

error loading image

The object includes two calculations where Calc1 is only calculated when DIM_2 = A and Calc2 when DIM_2 = B.

Now - what I want to do is obviously to hide Calc2 when DIM_2 = A and Calc1 when DIM_2 = B or alternatively to use a macro to set the column width to 0.

Obviously, the problem is, that e.g. Calc2 is the same column under both DIM_2 = A and B, so changing the width under A will reflect the same change under B.... [:^)]

Is there a way that you can set multible widths of the Calc1 and Calc2 columns?

Regards,

Lars Madsen

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi!

Thanks for your replies!

My query was initiated by another discussion on the forum. Referred to as a "Merged header issue" for Pivot tables my need is to control the visibility of DIM_2 in relation to DIM_1. Mergin the header of DIM_1 above DIM_2 gives a better visual presentation I think compared to adding an expression column for each calculation.

I will therefore direct the attention to this post since 'asomani' and 'john witherspoon' provide a briliant way to control the pivot table's merged headers and therefore also provide a workaround for hiding my empty calculations in the first example (though it's not exactly a solution to having multiple column widths apart to set them to zero = hide

Pls. refer to this post: "Merge headers in Pivot tables" http://community.qlik.com/forums/p/19453/74666.aspx#74666

See enclosed QV application as well. Loading an Inline table as a mask and combining with "pick(match" function will allow me to control exactly what members of the DIM_2 dimension should appear under DIM_1 which is another way of "hiding" obsolete members.

Thanks again guys,

Lars

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Lars,

I do not think it is possible to have more than one width on the same expression in a chart. A possible solution is to have multiple versions of the chart with teh same position on the screen but different column widths and to use a show condition to show the relevant chart given the selection on DIM_2. ie if B is selected suppress the A chart and show the B chart and vice versa.

Kind Regards,

Footsie

Not applicable
Author

Hi Footsie

Thanks for the reply - I think you are right that this approach would work out in some cases. It's still a problem if I need both A and B visible at the same time but your proposal got me thinking Hmm

Regards,

Lars

Not applicable
Author

Hi Lars,

You could have a third copy of the chart and in the show condition use getselectedcount(DIM_2)=0. This means you will have 3 charts altogether. Three charts might be a bit of a pain in terms of maintenance but it is a solution.

Kind Regards

Footsie

Not applicable
Author

Hi Lars,

In such case you need to have 3 tables, one when nothing is selected and rest two based on selection. I know its not a good solution. but sometime we need to do like this.

OR rather I can suggest you to add a new column in your script, and in pivot tabel chart, you can have a calculated dimesnsion, where you can define if(value=a, X col ,b ) something on

Regards,

Amit

Not applicable
Author

Hi!

Thanks for your replies!

My query was initiated by another discussion on the forum. Referred to as a "Merged header issue" for Pivot tables my need is to control the visibility of DIM_2 in relation to DIM_1. Mergin the header of DIM_1 above DIM_2 gives a better visual presentation I think compared to adding an expression column for each calculation.

I will therefore direct the attention to this post since 'asomani' and 'john witherspoon' provide a briliant way to control the pivot table's merged headers and therefore also provide a workaround for hiding my empty calculations in the first example (though it's not exactly a solution to having multiple column widths apart to set them to zero = hide

Pls. refer to this post: "Merge headers in Pivot tables" http://community.qlik.com/forums/p/19453/74666.aspx#74666

See enclosed QV application as well. Loading an Inline table as a mask and combining with "pick(match" function will allow me to control exactly what members of the DIM_2 dimension should appear under DIM_1 which is another way of "hiding" obsolete members.

Thanks again guys,

Lars