Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

qvpx global methods

i'm currently trying to understand how to use the qvpx protocol to access core api methods, but i'm still a bit confused

so far i've made a little c# project sending requests to the /qvajaxzfc/qvsviewclient.asp, and tested it with the example given at the end of the "QlikView Server API" documentation (the one starting with : <Global method="OpenDoc">). It worked fine, but i have some more questions that need answers :

- what methods are allowed or forbidden when called via the qvpx protocol ? Are they exactly the same as the standard automation API ?

- how are those methods called ? the second (and last) example from the documentation is <Doc method="GetSheetObject">, so i think the syntax is <ObjectType method="ObjectMethod">, but trying this after assuming my last point is true yielded only <message text="Invalid method" />. What am i doing wrong ?

- what is the meaning of the <_retval_>Doc:1</_retval_> returned after the global OpenDoc method ? how am i supposed to use it ?

- is there a more meaningful documentation/tutorial/example about this api ?

14 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi JGeorge,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I'm using QVPX (QvsComRemote.dll) to access the list of documents, sheetobjects, etc. and integrate it in one of our system. Though QvsComRemote.dll is still in the server install, I noticed that its not register (via regsvr32). I hope there is something that replaces this feature.

Yes, I heard about the web services for system management, would be good if this is the same road map for Global Methods.

Thanks again.

Not applicable
Author

Hi JGeorge, are you still working with qvpx?

Have you and example of code that use the protocol?

Thanks and regards

Not applicable
Author

Hi Stefano,

I first tried to use qvpx and global methods calls in order to enhance the QlikView ajax client with custom-drawn objects. It was hard to start on this given the lack of proper documentation and anyway the new extension feature of QV 10 is here to do exactly that. So I gave up qvpx and am now working on an extension. Note that the documentation is far from perfect too, but at least there are a few working samples you can work on to get yourself in. If you want to achieve something else I'm afraid I won't be able to help, my only advice would be to get something like firebug or fiddler to watch qvpx requests and responses between the ajax client and the QV server to understand how it works before mocking this behavior with your own code.

But you really should try to find another way to achieve what you want: QlikTech does not consider the qvpx protocol to be used by third-party components, thus it can change without warning. It's sad this is never said through the "documentation", but I got this information from their R&D team so I think it's pretty reliable.

Good luck!

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your answer

Do you think is possible to re-use the js of ajax client to interact with server? The client should implement the qvpx protocol...

Best

Not applicable
Author

Of course it's possible in theory, but I think you'll have to work real hard on it. The QV ajax client does not use any standard js library, all is done by hand from the beginning, so just getting a global understanding of how it works will take a lot of time and effort. Also, you'll have absolutely no guarantee that your code won't break with the next version. I think it will be far easier to understand the qvpx by watch requests and responses on a real document (qvpx can change too, but is less likely to change in my opinion than the js code).