Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Advanced data reduction in section access

Hello,

I have read the pdf guide "Introduction to section access v1.1. It is a good introduction, but do not answer to more advanced needs.

let say I have a table with geographical data : country, post code, city, containing thousand of different data.

I would like to parameter users according to those geographical data. I do not see how I can implement those restrictions :

- a user who can see FR, all postcode starting by 75 and 92. How do you deal with the restriction "starting by" ?

- a user who can see all UK and only city PARIS for FR. If I set a restriction on city = PARIS, it overrides the UK cities.

- a user who can see all FR, except PARIS and LYON. How do I implement a "except" restriction ?

Do you have any idea on how to implement this kind of data reduction ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

4 Replies
Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

- a user who can see FR, all postcode starting by 75 and 92. How do you deal with the restriction "starting by" ?

Create another field using LEFT(yourfield,2)

- a user who can see all UK and only city PARIS for FR. If I set a restriction on city = PARIS, it overrides the UK cities.

Two lines into your Section Access solve this

- a user who can see all FR, except PARIS and LYON. How do I implement a "except" restriction ?

I don´t know how to do this either

Not applicable
Author

Not applicable
Author

Hello Clever,

thanks for your answers, but they don't answer to the questions.

On first point, the LEFT(postcode, 2) works for french postcode which are meanful on the first 2 digits, but not for UK for eg which is meanfull on the first 3 digits. My question is more generally : can I create restrictions with wildcard caracters (for eg on a customer field, make a security restriction '*SAMSUNG*') ?

On the second point, I suppose your proposition of 2 lines in Section Access looks like :

line 1 : COUNTRY = UK, CITY = BLANK

line 2 : COUNTRY = FR, CITY = PARIS

The result of this restriction is COUNTRY = UK, FR    and   CITY = PARIS

So, I would only see PARIS, and none of the UK cities, while my need would be to see all UK cities + Paris.

More generally, on the second point, my question is : is it possible to perform restrictions with the OR operator between the lines, instead of AND.

In the above example, the restriction do not work because the restriction makes an AND for the 2 lines of restriction : (COUNTRY = UK) AND (COUNTRY = FR AND CITY = PARIS).

While my need is to get the result with an OR operator : (COUNTRY = UK) OR (COUNTRY = FR AND CITY = PARIS)

Not applicable
Author

Hello Nandkishor

your link can be an answer for my second question, thanks ! By the way, it looks quite complex for a 'simple need'.