Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Alternate slices in pie chart

Hi, this is a tricky one, not sure if anyone can assist.  I have a pie chart and I need to place the values on the chart.  When there are 2 or more thin slices next to one another, the text overlaps.  There is a good post on how to stagger the text which is great but the client does not want this.  Also, he wants a pie chart and not a bar chart which is unfortunate but what can you do...  One way of ensuring the text does not overlap is to alternate the slices - thin/thick/thin/thick.  Is there any clever way of doing this in QV?

Thanks very much.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

If you want to use a QV only solution, you can try to sort your chart dimension like

Largest, Smallest, 2nd largest, 2nd smallest, 3rd largest, 3rd smallest ...

Maybe using a sort expression in your chart like

=rank(count(Value))*(rank(-count(Value))-0.5)

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi

I happened upon your post - I don't know the direct answer to your question, but I believe there is an extension which is a pie chart with lines leading out to the values.  I'd look it up for you but I'm a bit pressed for time - it may be worth investigating and I'll take a look myself a little later if I get the time.  Sorry I could not have been of more direct help.

Steve

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Steve!  I think you might be onto something.  Its a v11 feature right?  Time to upgrade.  WIll check this out and let you know.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

It's part of the example extensions from QlikTech. It should be installed in the examples directory: <...YourQVInstallationDirectory...>\Examples\Extensions\Extension Examples.qar

Note, the extension will only work in WebView and in the ajax client.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
swuehl
MVP
MVP

If you want to use a QV only solution, you can try to sort your chart dimension like

Largest, Smallest, 2nd largest, 2nd smallest, 3rd largest, 3rd smallest ...

Maybe using a sort expression in your chart like

=rank(count(Value))*(rank(-count(Value))-0.5)

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for feedback - this approach moves the slices around so I'll tinker with that.  Cheers!

mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Gysbert,

Is the labeled pie chart really included in the standard QV installation these days?

I am running latest QV11 SR4, and the extensions I get as part of QV desktop, when installing the Extension Examples.qar are:

bullet

calendar

geoHeat

org

WebPageViewer

Are others seeing this too? Or am I missing something?

Please mark the post as a solution if it provided you with a solution to the topic at hand. Thanks!