Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Top Level Data in a drill-down group

Hi, sorry if this seems a really basic question but I can't find the answer anywhere on the forums.

I've set up a drill-down group along the lines Company>State>Store>Product. I would like the initial view to be total sales for the company but I can't get it to display at that level, the highest I can see is total sales by State. The rest of the drill works fine and I can click into a state and get total sales by store and then click into a store and get sales by product.

It does work if I make it a cyclical group rather than drill-down but that takes away some of the fantastic functionality of the product and may not be quite as intuitive for the users.

My data is set up as follows;

Company

State

Store

Product

Sales

UoL

X

A

Hat

UoL

X

A

Coat

UoL

X

A

Shoes

UoL

X

B

Hat

UoL

X

B

Coat

UoL

X

B

Shoes

UoL

X

B

Socks

UoL

Y

C

Hat

UoL

Y

C

Coat

UoL

Y

D

Hat

UoL

Y

D

Coat

UoL

Y

D

Shoes

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

John

7 Replies
Not applicable
Author

You should use cyclic group to navigate to any level of hierarchy. But if you want to use the Drill-Down functionality and see data for many selected values for the field you have to move this field on a top of the hierarchy. Your hierarchy looks good, but your data has one company only. It means for a Drill-down group no sense to show first level and it automatically drill down to the next level.

You can create a dummy company or use cyclic group.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Although your company is the same and then a Drill down at company level would'nt make sense, but still I have attached an example QV file for you to have a look.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Nick. I still don't understand why it it makes no sense to show the top level though.

If you think of it as a dashboard, the main guy in the company will want to see the overall sales / profit / returns etc etc for the whole company, possibly comparing across different years. Then he want to look at which states are over or under achieving in terms of a target and then which stores.

I was expecting to be able to see one bar for the whole company, click on that to see two bars for the states, click on one of the states and see however many stores are in that state.

If it is put in as a cyclic group you can select one of the states from a list and the graph will show the chart dropping to the correct level but it will still be showing at the company level rather than the state level unless I have clicked on the cyclic group button. I know what it is showing but I'm not sure that the users in the company will.

cheers

John

Not applicable
Author

Hi Umang, thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what the file you've sent through is showing me. There doesn't seem to be similar data to my problem.

Not applicable
Author

Here is the example which does exactly what you are talking about.

Not applicable
Author

Ok, it has been a while .. but since this is not answered and I ran into the same thing today :

The solution is to add a fake second company, thus in your load script add:

outer join
LOAD * INLINE [
    Company,
    'X'
];

Note that Company 'X' will not show up in the chart.

Kind regards

Roland

Not applicable
Author

try to add 'Total' as TotalGroup

Put the new field in the group at top level.

That worked for me