Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qvd1rkqv
Creator
Creator

Virtual Memory / pagefile.sys Settings

Our environment includes 2 clustered QVS servers one of which is also the Access Point. This is all these 2 servers do. They are both 2X16 core CPUs with 256GB RAM. We currently have the Virtual Memory set on these servers to "System managed" on an 800GB Data partition which is currently at a 262109 MB page file. We are NOT having any performance issues with our systems.  The problem is that we are hitting 75% usage of the Data partition usage with the 262109 MB page file.  So the question for you folks is do we really need a page file this big?  As far as I can tell QlikView apps are not spilling over into virtual memory which would be bad anyway for performance.  My thought is to reduce the VM setting down to 50 GB and free up the hard drive space. Any thoughts? Thanks. 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mark

QlikView is an 'In Memory' tool.  As such the server should have enough RAM to avoid page file usage, which as you have no performance issues appears to be the case.  So if this was my server I'd happily reduce the page file to 50 GB.

[Most applications would need your current page file size, but QlikView does not.]

Best Regards,     Bill

View solution in original post

6 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Hi Mark,

please read http://community.qlik.com/thread/88103 and the referenced document.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

qvd1rkqv
Creator
Creator
Author

I did find that thread and read that document. Very informative but unless I'm mistaken it doesn't answer my question.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mark

QlikView is an 'In Memory' tool.  As such the server should have enough RAM to avoid page file usage, which as you have no performance issues appears to be the case.  So if this was my server I'd happily reduce the page file to 50 GB.

[Most applications would need your current page file size, but QlikView does not.]

Best Regards,     Bill

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Sorry if the referenced information wasn't really helpful.

Maybe these help to answer your question (I am not sure if it is helpful If I would suggest to shrink it down without actually really knowing your system):

How to determine the appropriate page file size for 64-bit versions of Windows

Pushing the Limits of Windows: Virtual Memory - Mark's Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

qvd1rkqv
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks Bill. Pretty much what i was looking for and what my research found.

Sudharsan
Contributor
Contributor

We were encountering the performance issue with out Qlik sense server and apps were opening slow or the object were responding slow.

But the CPU and Memory utilization were normal.

When we noticed that we had 32 GB of Pagefile.sys,  we requested our Win Server to remove Vitual Memeory.  After removing Virtual Memory/Pagefile.sys , the performance is far better now.