Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

BINARY LOAD - why doesn't it work?

Hi,

I will have to implement some complex KPI into one of my apps. It already exists - just not quite correct and a bit outdated - in another, so I thought I'd begin by copying that.

It includes a BINARY LOAD. I copy-pasted that into the script in my app as the very first command on the "Main" tab - but it didn't work. So I deleted it and redid it using the wizard - but it still won't work.

The context is this:

- The datamodel is on the same server as the app, just in another directory on the same level

- I am generally using relative paths in my apps
=> The code is >>> Binary ..\02_datamodel\datamodel_syncreon_mgmt.qvw; <<<

When I used the wizard, it put the whole thing into square brackets - but it still didn't work, so I removed them for now.

Can someone help me here?

I guess once I have this working I will have to do a bit of consolidating for I have several other tables already in my app, among them a master_calendar that will probably be redundant - but first I have to get it working.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

15 Replies
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Dito!

So that's more a data_protection thing, is it? I'll do that in my HR app right away in that case to prohibit anyone from loading that personell data.

Different question: What do you think of the speed_of_loading thing? When I need only, say, 30% of the tables which are in the datamodel, would it still be faster to do the BINARY LOAD instead of loading individual qvd files?

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Michael,

Hit!

There is an SQL query from our personell database like in most of my apps and I put that in a hidden script which only I have the key to so noone can glean the logon_data for the database.

So I have to move the BINARY command to the very top of that hidden script?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Yes, binary statement need to be the first statement in the (complete) script.

CELAMBARASAN
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Does your app has hidden script?

if it has hidden script because it executed at the first. So you have to keep the binary load statement inside the hidden script.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly

Not applicable

But you might not want to do that. What if someone want/need to change the binary statement?

Have the SQL query in a QVD loader and create a personell QVD and set security (file security,hiden script etc...) on the QVW that create the QVD.

Read the QVD after the binary load in a normal fashion. No need for the hidden script in the main QVW,,,

BR

Hans