Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Display months in a listbox

Hi,

I've got this excel sheet among other things a column with payment dates. I want to use this info in a listbox so that I can see sales figures for a certain month in a diagram.

I've figured out how to get just the month in a text format (jan, feb, etc) but the problem is I get every instance of the months displayed, so there is a whole lot of jans, febs etc seen where as I just want one instance of each so that I can choose for example may and then get the sales total for the month of may.

I don't know if I explained this well enough, but hoping that I have, is there anyone out there who can give me any tips?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

When loading the script:

Sometimes its best to create a seperate Date_Table and then link this to (for example) the orders table.

By using this it allows the developer to manipulate dates easily

Date:

load

today()-recno()+1 as Date

autogenerate(today()-'2002-12-31');

DateParts:

load

Date as invoice_date, // link to orders_table

Day(Date) as Day,

Year(Date) as Year,

yearname ( Date, 0, 4 ) as FinancialYear,

weekstart(Date) as WeekStart,

Month(Date)&' - '&right(year(Date),2) as MonthYear,

Month(Date) as Month,

Week(Date) as Week,

Weekday(Date) as WeekDay

resident Date;

drop table Date;

Then when you create list boxes of dates or date format the duplication will not occur.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Not applicable
Author

When loading the script:

Sometimes its best to create a seperate Date_Table and then link this to (for example) the orders table.

By using this it allows the developer to manipulate dates easily

Date:

load

today()-recno()+1 as Date

autogenerate(today()-'2002-12-31');

DateParts:

load

Date as invoice_date, // link to orders_table

Day(Date) as Day,

Year(Date) as Year,

yearname ( Date, 0, 4 ) as FinancialYear,

weekstart(Date) as WeekStart,

Month(Date)&' - '&right(year(Date),2) as MonthYear,

Month(Date) as Month,

Week(Date) as Week,

Weekday(Date) as WeekDay

resident Date;

drop table Date;

Then when you create list boxes of dates or date format the duplication will not occur.

Not applicable
Author

I am pretty much a beginner to QlikView. I've tried the code above in the script window but I get an syntax error message saying there's a missing/misplaced load:from statement and I have no idea what that means.

Could you perhaps add a few more comments to the code? I'm guessing there is no way to just manipulate the listbox properties to achieve this?

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

It's probably a field definition problem, not a listbox problem. You could manipulate the listbox, but that's not really the right solution.

My guess is that you're doing something like this:

date(MyDate,'MMM') as Month

The problem with that is that all dates are still stored as dates, regardless of how you display it. The 'MMM' is only telling it how you want to see it on the screen. So September 1, 2008 will still be different than September 2, 2008 will still be different than September 2, 2009. As a result, you'll see Sep repeated in your list box for every date in September of any year.

If you want all dates in September of any year to be equivalent, use this:

month(MyDate) as Month

The month() function drops the date information, and stores only an integer month (1-12) with a display format of MMM.

If you want all dates in September of EACH year to be equivalent, but different from September in other years, use this:

date(monthstart(MyDate),'MMM YY') as Month

The monthstart() function forces all dates in the month to have the same value.

Not applicable
Author

At the risk of seeming completely illiterate, I must admit I can't get it to work.

In the excel sheet I'm importing there is in addtion to the column "invoice date" also a column called "Month" which is derived from Invoice date, but of course lists only the month in a MMM-format.

So, is it the wrong way to go about it to import that column and try to get that into a listbox which only has one instance of every month displayed? Should I, delete this column from the sheet and extract the month-bit from the invoice date-column? I really need all the help I can get as I'm stuck and this is part of an assignment I have to hand in at the latest tomorrow.

Not applicable
Author

Can you load the document and I can have a look at the script!

Not applicable
Author

I hope I understood you correctly. I loaded the file into QV and below is the copied script. The column invoice date corresponds to UCIVDT. If I have completely misunderstood you, then my excuse is that after an all-nighter in front of the computer my brain is mush.

UCCUNO,

UCIVNO

UCIVDT

UCORNO

UCITNO

UCORTP

UCSMCD

UCWHLO

UCSAAM

UCUCOS

UCIVQT

UCDIVI

UCCONO

MONTH

YEAR

FROM

(

biff, embedded labels, table is Sheet1$)

;

LOAD

Not applicable
Author

Can you upload the document.

The instructions are in the attached file

Not applicable
Author

Ok, am with you now. Here's the excelfile.

Not applicable
Author

Sorry,

I meant the qvw (qlikview) file