Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Question of refresh impact,share object and recommend file size

Hi all,

I have three questions about qlikview.

1. Is there any impact on users activity if we refresh the application on the qlikview server when users are using the application?

2. How to share objects by different users using split applications if we split the application into several according  to the security?
3. What is the recommendation of application file size?

Thanks for your help.

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

1. Yes.. There is impact on end user. You can manage it on "Document Properties " --> "Server"--> "Refresh mode when Document is updated on server"...

2. Sorry.. I don't have idea on splitting applications..

3. Application size is not matter if you have more RAM memory. RAM usage will depend based on File size..

Find attached images...

Karthik

Not applicable
Author

Thank you very much.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

To complete Karthik's answers:

For question 2 you can do one of two things:

1. either split the applications at the code level by using a Prj- folder and merge/link those common objects into different applications from an XML-library of sorts (see Version Control) or
  2. you can let the Publisher distribute a custom copy of a single document to each user with different security. Inside the document you'll have to show/hide/customize objects based on variable settings for each individual user. (see QV Publisher and information on SA)

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your advice. But after the application is split, how to share object between those split applications?

Regards,

Hao

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

AFAIK only one solution: move development of your application from a single binary blob (.qvw) to xml based components. Those can be stored and extracted from a Version Control System, where you can share objects amongst different apps.

To have a look at what I mean, imagine you have an application called Dashboard.qvw. In the same directory, create a folder called Dashboard-prj. Now open and close Dashboard.qvw in your QlikView Desktop and check the newly created directory. It will be filled with all things in your dashboard, but now stored as individual XML files. A Version Control System (in QV Desktop, see File->Source Control->Settings... for possible connectors) can make sure that when you open your Dashboard, some common object CHART01 is extracted from a library and imported into your dashboard, thereby making it always consistent with the centrally shared version.

If you have a publisher, I would choose the other option because that may be easier to manage and doesn't force you to rethink your development environment.

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for your advice.