Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any good suggestions how to organize the licenses?

We have 70 User CAL & 70 Document CAL available.

All CAL's are assigned to people, and we have a bunch of people who wants to have access.

First thought was of buying more licenses ... but after a little research we found out that on a daily base (average) 30 individual people are using QlikView, with a peek up to 50 people.

Has anyone got suggestions how to solve this?? How can we organize our licenses in a better way?

Using license lease for the Named CAL's came up to our minds, but somehow it seems not the solution since the person who 'leases' the CAL gets the CAL for 30 days. And as far as I read this won't work through AJAX.

Dynamic assignment also looks not like the solution, since the users should be removed manually after 24 hours of not using QlikView.

Anyone got good suggestions or tips??

thx!!

14 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Anita Fuchten wrote:

Has anyone got idea's about how many Session CAL's you need in which situation?

This is a bit of a dark art as you need to predict how many concurrent users you are likely to have at any one time.

You would typically use a combination of Session CALs and Usage CALs. Usage CALs are very cheap licenses bought in bundles of 100 that allow one user up to one hour's access in a 28 day rolling period, i.e. after 28 days the Usage CALs is put back into the pool of available licenses (note that you only pay for them once, i.e. they are perpetual licenses). Usage CALs are ideal for covering peaks in usage, e.g. the end of the month. You don't want to buy additional expensive Session CALs simply to cater for the 2 days at the end of the month where concurrent usage goes up.

My personal guideline is to start with the assumption of 1 Session CAL per 10 users, topped up with some Usage CALs, and work from there. I have seen customers happily using a ratio of 1:20. You can always give superusers or frequent users a Document or Named User CAL. If you have implemented another software system at your company that uses a concurrent license model then it can act as a template. E.g. you noticed that your CRM system has an average of 3 concurrent users then you could start with 3 Session CALs.

When a user logs into a QlikView Server the system will check for license allocation in the following order: Named User CAL --> Document CAL --> Session CAL --> Usage CAL

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Session CAL with Usage CAL seems a good solution ... but it is way to expensive for our company .

Lets say we can convert some of our Named and Document CAL's ... we still need to invest roughly about 80.000 euro's to be sure the concurrent users can enter QlikView ...

Cost technical this means: 8 Session CAL's v.s. 75 Named CAL's v.s. 300 Document CAL

To bad the Session CAL is that more expensive, because we really could use the way this is implemented.

But for a smaller company as ours the solution is way to expensive.

Not applicable
Author

Sorry I couldn't help further.

FYI you can buy the cheaper Usage CALs without Session CALs for your very infrequent users, instead of giving them a more expensive Document or Named User CALs. Usage CALs are not available on the Small Business Edition server.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thx anyway ... I already was afraid this was the only 'way' ... hoped there was a better solution 😉

Not applicable
Author

Hi Anita,

I would perform further analysis surrounding the named cal allocation. Ideally,  you should allocate named cal to developers, super users (those access 3-4) and those users who need to access QlikView offline (excluding QV Mobile).

If you are using document chaining, users will benefit when using a named cal license, rather than a document cals.

Once you have identified (who needs the licenses), you can ring fence the licenses by granting the license to these specific users with QMC (leaving hopefully the document cals to balance demand throughout the rest of the business).

Named Cals are checked first as QlikView looks for available licenses, followed by doc cals,  session cals and lastly usage cals. You need to ensure that users who don't need named cals, aren't granted them. They can be deployed elsewhere within the business.

Doc cals provide online access only to one QlikView application,

Session cals should be calculated on a 1:1 with concurrent users you need to support. For example 20 concurrent users, require 20 session cals.

Hopefully this helps you ?

Thanks Steve