Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Chart table and pick dimensions layout issues

Hi,

I used the pick dimensions feature and I have some issues with the layout of the chart table. Sorry if they are trivial. Imagine a table with 3 list boxes and _dimension1, _dimension2, _dimension3. I want to be able to pick some columns out of each list box.

- First of all I want to lock the dimensions of the chart table because it gets insanely large if you pick many columns.

- Secondly, by default the table has all the fields selected by the 3 _dimensions while I want it to be empty and get it filled as you pick columns. And of course if I clear everything it gets back to the full table, while I would like it to be empty.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

You can use the getselectedcount() function to get the number of values selected in a field, for example in _dimension1. When no values are selected in a field then getselectedcount returns 0. You can use the result in the conditional display expressions:

if(getselectedcount(_dimension1) >0 and getselectedcount(_dimension1) < 5 ...etc.

Probably easiest if you create a variable to check the selected counts for all three _dimension* fields and use the variable in the conditional display expressions.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

You can use the getselectedcount() function to get the number of values selected in a field, for example in _dimension1. When no values are selected in a field then getselectedcount returns 0. You can use the result in the conditional display expressions:

if(getselectedcount(_dimension1) >0 and getselectedcount(_dimension1) < 5 ...etc.

Probably easiest if you create a variable to check the selected counts for all three _dimension* fields and use the variable in the conditional display expressions.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Thanks, I will try something on that.

Now I am trying to solve the other issue. The fact that the chart table is not fixed in size. Perhaps I should do it like the example in QV 11 what's new, where the sheet is fixed and every object has to fit in.

I know it must be trivial but can anyone tell me how exactly can I put this defined frame on top of the sheet background where it is ALWAYS fixed? It looks like most QV files have this frame and they do not use the whole screen.

P.S. I just realized that even in the QV example the dimensions of the chart table seem to grow and grow. If you click on many dimensions you will notice that.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I'm trying to work out the problem you are trying to solve here but I am a little confused. Could you provide a little more information or perhaps point to an example which is showing this behaviour?

From the sounds of it your are talking about the layout of the objects in your QlikView document. Essentially these can be placed anywhere but it is best practice to design for a safe screen size, for example 1024 x 768, if that is your company default. You would then design your background image to fit this nicely with plenty of spare in case of larger screens.

Not applicable
Author

http://community.qlik.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/411749-77673/Whats%20New%20in%20QlikView11.qv...

Please check this one. Pick many dimensions and you will see an unacceptable behavior of the table. It gets too large. How can we solve this problem?

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, Getselectedcount works fine.

I ended up with a solution, after seeing an answer on another question. The only way to bypass the size problem is to change the dimensions to expressions.