Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Migration from Qlikview 8 to 9 : Licensing Issues

Could you please help us to understand the Qlikview 9 licensing structure after migration from V8 to V9 for the following 2 scenarios:

Scenario 1:

Our Customer is using Qlikview 8.20. They have a Qlikview Enterprise Edition Server with 1 Named User CAL, 1 QlikView Developer, 1 QlikView Professional and 1 Qlikview Analyser +.

Currently, they are not using the Qlikview Server for sharing and accessing Qlikview doc thru intranet as it has only one CAL.

There is only one Qlikview developer who actually creates the Qlikview document. And around 5 people would like to access the document for analysis.

They are planning to upgrade to Qlikview 9. Could you please provide us information on how the new license structure would be after the upgrade if they would like to use the Qlikview server for sharing and accessing document.

Scenario 2:

Customer has Qlikview 9 and would like to share his Qlikview doc with 5 other people for only analysis without using Qlikview Server. How can we meet his requirement.

12 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Hopefully this will help.

Scenario 1:

Your costumer must upgrade the number of CAL's to 5. This way the 5 extra users can access the developed QlikView document. Since your customer is using the Qlikview Enterprise Edition Server the distribution of the QlikView documents can be set using the Plugin, Installed Client, ZfP or JAVA. When the new Analyser logon to the QlikView Server there will be a userCAL registered for this user. The QlikView Developer can be registered by license key and can also lease a CAL from the QlikView server.

Scenario 2:

Do you mean that the other 5 people are working offline?

Greetz

Robbie

Typo Reference Manual QV9.0:

QlikView Personal Edition

With QlikView 9.0, everyone is free to create QlikView documents for personal use. Hence, a normal QlikView Desktop can be run without purchasing a license. There are no limitations, except that it is not possible to open QlikView documents created by other users. Nor is it possible to import an entire layout from an xml file. Technically, every QlikView document is saved with a user key - information tied to the user and the computer. A licensed QlikView Server or a QlikView Desktop with a QlikView User License (a bought license) can open any file, but a user of QlikView Personal Edition can only open files containing the correct user key. Should you change computer, you will not be able to open your old documents with a QlikView Personal Edition. However, you will be asked to recover your files instead, something you should do before you create any other documents. The difference is that a new user key is generated and used for subsequent files. QlikView will accept four (4) user key changes.

Collapse of Developer, Professional and Analyzer

A consequence of the introduction of QlikView Personal Edition is that the difference between Developer, Professional and stand-alone Analyzer is no longer relevant and the three levels have been removed. Everyone has the right to run a QlikView with developer capability. However, the functionality of corporate users can still be limited through deployment options stored in the registry.

Evaluation

The 15-day evaluation of QlikView Developer has been removed.

License lease from QlikView Server

The standard way to distribute a QlikView User license is to use a Named CAL on a server. The client will then get a license lease from the server, valid for 30 days and enabling all functionality of the QlikView Desktop.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Robbie for your prompt response.

In Scenario1, I need help after upgradation to Qlikview 9.

In the current set up they have one Developer, one Professional and one Analyser+(All V8.2).

So after upgradation to V9, Qlikview Server will have 3 CALs corresponding to one Developer, one Professional and one Analyser+. Now if 2 extra users would like to access Qlikview document thru server then we should get 2 extra Named CALs.

After Upgradation these 5 users can install Qlikview personal edition in their respective machines and connect to QlikView server by just entering the server address on the "Open in Server" tab on the start page. If the server has a Named CAL configured correctly for you, your Personal Edition will become a full licensed QlikView Developer.

In Scenario 2, they don't want to buy Qlikview Server, but still wants to share the document with 5 other users for Analysis. So I think they will have to buy 5 licensed Qlikview 9 Developers.

Can you help me to understand if they can use a Small Business Qlikview Server with 5 CALs. Which one would be the best approach w.r.t to cost.

Please let me know if my understanding is correct.

Thanks Again

Jinisha Joseph

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Robbie for your prompt response.

In Scenario1, I need help after upgradation to Qlikview 9.

In the current set up they have one Developer, one Professional and one Analyser+(All V8.2).

So after upgradation to V9, Qlikview Server will have 3 CALs corresponding to one Developer, one Professional and one Analyser+. Now if 2 extra users would like to access Qlikview document thru server then we should get 2 extra Named CALs.

After Upgradation these 5 users can install Qlikview personal edition in their respective machines and connect to QlikView server by just entering the server address on the "Open in Server" tab on the start page. If the server has a Named CAL configured correctly for you, your Personal Edition will become a full licensed QlikView Developer.

In Scenario 2, they don't want to buy Qlikview Server, but still wants to share the document with 5 other users for Analysis. So I think they will have to buy 5 licensed Qlikview 9 Developers.

Can you help me to understand if they can use a Small Business Qlikview Server with 5 CALs. Which one would be the best approach w.r.t to cost.

Please let me know if my understanding is correct.

Thanks Again

Jinisha Joseph

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Scenario 1

With QV9 there is no difference anymore between Developer/Professional/Analyser. Everybody has Developer rights. So you need 5 user call's on server side and they can lease a user call from the QlikView Server.

Scenario 2

I suggest that you'll have to buy the Small Business Edition of the QlikView Server with 5 user calls to share a QlikView document. Every QlikView document developed with a QlikView Personal Edition is saved with a user key - this key contains information tied to the user and the computer. In your situation an other developer can't open the QlikView document, because the user key doesn't match.

Greetz

Robbie

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Robbie,

So in Scenairo2, the developer guy who has licensed Qlikview Software in his desktop can develop and upload the qlikview doc in small business Qlikview server and if 5 other users want to access this doc then we need 5 CALs in this Server.

So will this full license guy require a CAL in server or they can just buy a Server with 5 CALs. Can this guy with desktop full license connect to this server as 5 Named CALs are already assigned for other users.

Please let me know if my query is clear.

Not applicable
Author

Hi, If the 5 user CAL's on the QlikView Server are occupied, the developer cannot connect to the QlikView Server. In this case the Developer had it's own license on the PC. The Developer can also open the QlikView files with File --> Open(browse to directory on QlikView Server). This way it doesn't needs a user CAL. Greetz Robbie
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Robbie!

If I'm planning to use "Analyser Plugin for Internet Explorer Client" for these 5 users then only that plugin needs to be installed rt ? Should I install Qlikview Personal Edition also?

Also, If a user who has one Named CAL in Server tries to use "Open in Server" option in File menu then will it be correct to say that Personal Edition becomes Licensed Desktop version. If so do we still need Analyser IE Plugin.

I appreciate your patience and time spend to help me with my queries

Jinisha Joseph

Not applicable
Author

Hi, When the users don't have to use all functionalities, like script development, than I prefer to use the "Plugin for IE". This is a minimal installation and you'll have full Analyser functionalities. Greetz Robbie
Not applicable
Author

Hi. I hope this is the appropriate forum.

1. I have a license on our organisation's QV server (acessed by IE Plugin) so no difficulty there. However I need to demonstrate our single .qvw data to colleagues when not on-line (I have the file copied to my laptop). I have downloaded QV 9 Personal Edition but of course it can't open and work with our licensed file.

What kind of license do I need to make QV 9 PE usable? How do I get one? How much will it cost?

2. We are about to upgrade our server to QV 9. We might have a large number (dozens) of very occasional users. We already have enough licenses for our regular users

Are "session" licenses available?

.How much do they cost? Can a QV 9 "named" license be "migrated" to a session license?

(If anyone can point me to a simple explanation of these issue I would be grateful - it seems hard to get information).

Thank you in anticipation

Martyr