Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Dimension problem

Hi,

I am facing a problem that I had quite a few times before - with one difference:

- Most of the diagrams I have built so far are combo-charts (both columns and lines)

<=> My latest one is a barchart (stacked segments)

=> My problem is that in a given week (well, the current week, it is Wednesday), there are only three columns (the dimension is "date", which is the link to a master_calendar.

<=> I want six days (Mo-Sat) to be displayed on the x-axis from Monday on, so that the width of the columns does not change every day and the whole thing looks more quiet and composed.

I guess that the reason is that not all days are available in that table - but they are available in the master_calendar.

Is there any fast-lane method of finding out what it is?

I would consider severing that link and just seeing whether the dates after today are available or not - but that takes a lot of time...

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

2 Replies
jvitantonio
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hello DataNibbler,

If you are sure your calendar will have all possible days then, right join to the calendar

Load * from TransactionTable;

Right Keep

Load * yourCalendar;

Make sure you have a "Day" field and use that one in your chart. You can also uncheck "Suppress missing values" and Suppress Zero values so you see the day even if you don't have data.

Jv

BI Experience | A place to share our Business Intelligence experiences

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Don't bother:

I have found out, simply by taking out the redundant LOADing of the date_field as %Datum (the field from my master_calendar which I usually use to link new tables to it), that the dates between tomorrow and Friday are not available in my fact table.

<=> Still, if I use that field to link the table to the master_calendar, shouldn't I be able to use the date_field %Datum (from the master_calendar) as a dimension and have all days displayed, even the days after (today) for which quite naturally there is no data in my fact table?

P.S.:

I have compared this to another diagram - which happens to even be based on the very same fact table:

- There is no data in that fact table for tomorrow and the days after, of course

<=> via the link to the master_calendar (which runs up to Dec 31 of next year), I can display those dates

- The dimension is typed in exactly the same way

- I have compared the settings on both the "Dimension" tab and the "Presentation" tab of the dialog

<=> I have no clue what is the problem this time...

Does anyone have an idea that might help me here?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

P.P.S.: Oh - could it have to do with the fact that all my formulas include a set_expression >>> Date < (today) <<<?

- I have included that because part of the data is available for (today), but other parts are not - I end up with wrong results if I have it all displayed for (today)

P.P.P.S.: Yep - that was it. I just have to find out how to include a formula (to display without date_limitation) that won't do any harm...