Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

QV and Elastic Search - bringing in data from external sources, visualising in QV

It seems most extensions focus on enhancing the visualisation capabilities of QV, but what about the opposite?

What if you want to use extensions to call for example external REST APIs to bring in medium volume data sets into QV from other sources, injecting them into QV's internal data model, and then visualising them using QV's built-in charts, tables etc?

Is this possible?

I have done some work around raphaeljs, HighCharts, d3.js and other charting libs, that works well, but before diving into the above use case it would be interesting to know what has been done by others.

The concrete background here is that Elastic Search ("ES" for short) has proven very capable for dealing with large data volumes. It offers horisontal scalability (running out of space/CPU cycles in one server? Just add one or a few more nodes to the Elastic Search cluster!). It could also be interesting to explore other similar tools in addition to ES.

A very interesting use case would be to get dimensional data from ES, allow the user to make selections in QV, then fire off a query to ES, get the results back right away (second-level (or less) response times possible), and finally use QV's regular charts to visualise, slice and dice the data, as we usually do in QV apps.

Possible?

There are JavaScript libraries for accessing ES data, so that part should be covered.

But what about injecting external data into QV's internal data structures? Is that possible, or is that a one-way channel (from QV to the extension)?

There are of course Direct Discovery (DD) too, which is really intended for this use case. But DD relies on ODBC (or possibly JDBC or QVXs??), and most of the horizontally scalable databases do not support any of these interfaces.

Or is the preferred way to write some glue code that links DD with ES (or other similar system)?

thanks,

Göran

Please mark the post as a solution if it provided you with a solution to the topic at hand. Thanks!
10 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Goran - please see link below - as an example of what you speak off. This is not done with QlikView directly, but with QlikView Expressor and its Extension SDK.

(1) - Example and Sample

Geocoding by IP Address using a QlikView Expressor Extension

(2) - Introduction

Extending QlikView Expressor with the New Extensions SDK

http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2013/05/14/extending-qlikview-expressor-with-the-...

(3) Samples and Tutorials

QlikView Expressor Extensions SDK

Hope you find it interesting

Michael Tarallo

Senior Technical Product Marketing Manager

QlikView and QlikView Expressor

Follow me - @mtarallo

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Michael Tarallo: Interesting indeed, but this would work only during the reload phase - correct?

Or would the Expressor extension be available also when accessing the QV app via the AJAX client?

The use case I am looking into is for end users to kick off queries to semi-big-data databases (primarily Elastic Search, but maybe Cassandra or similar systems too) from within the AJAX client of a QV app.

The QV app might also gather some data from ES during reload, so that is interesting too - but without the possibility for end users to start queries from the AJAX client, the whole idea dies..

Please mark the post as a solution if it provided you with a solution to the topic at hand. Thanks!
Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Yes, currently if you want to inject data back into the data model that is usually done during the reload phase. There is the possibility to leverage dynamic updates BUT it comes with a hefty performance cost.

This is also why you get the performance you do with QV, when we can index the data and create our symbol/bit pointers for you. To be able to create that on of the fly in real time we would have to re-index the entire data model on every insert to detect if the injected values existed before in the data model.

With all that said, yes you could 'bring' in data to Qlikview. The Google Big Query extension is a typical example of calling an external data source, a extremely big one at that, and then visualize that data in QV. It doesn't leverage the native charts however. We have discussed and looked into the possibility of server-side extensions that could run server side and create hyper cubes on the fly and leverage the standard components of QV which would be _very_ interesting. You never know what might appear on the horizon so keep your eyes open

Also be weary of perceived performance, when you put something semi-fast into a blazingly fast application like QV almost any query time will seem slow in comparison.

Google Big Query demo: Qlik Demos: See QlikView in Action | Demo.Qlik.Com

mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Ah, makes sense that data in QV would need to be re-indexed on the fly - that could certainly be a performance penalty for doing that.

Still, if the result set is just a few tens of thousands of lines (which is what I envision), that re-indexing might still be ok.

To sum up where I am going with this: using a big-data/semi-big-data source (let's say 10 billion lines) that offers fast query results (less than 10 seconds), with result sets that are 10-25k lines in size.

But if I understand you correctly you are saying that it is today not possible to inject data from an external source into QV's data model? Or is it as easy as just assigning values to Qv.Document.Object.Data.Rows, instead of reading from that object/field?

... and yes - I am eagerly keeping my eyes on the horizon too!

Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Ye it's not possible to do without DD at the moment if you want to get access to QVs associate logic.

If you were able to load in the dimensional values beforehand you could use that as a base for your extension, similar to how the Google Big Query extension operates, but the data is not persistent meaning we can't run it through the inference engine to be able to find associations.

But if your underlying data source has adequate query speed then I guess it's a lesser problem if you would have to update the data set to reflect changes. Think of it as a traditional drill out.

mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Ok, thanks.

If I want to get the external result into QVs internal data structure during application runtime, I guess DD is the remaining option... Next step will be to investigate some glue code/driver between DD and ES, then. Should be fun too!

Not applicable

HI Goran,

I'm looking into QV as a front end to an ES cluster and would love to hear about any success you've had using mating the two systems. 

Dennis

rbecher
MVP
MVP

Hi Alexander,

is there any way to use the Update functionality (see Button Action) via JavaScript API? This would do it..

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Yes you could but the performance and section access goes out the door then.

My best bet would be to utilize the direct discovery feature and read straight from a data source.

In theory I guess that would work with a custom connector although I have never tried it.

You should be able to reference the fields that was brought in by DD from a extension.