Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Help with creating a tracked history of selections in QlikView

Hi,

I have a requirement where a user can input some parameters for some values and the parameters need to be tracked as a history inside the application.

A user should be able to select a specific value in a list box and then input some parameters for that particular value. Those parameters need to be showed in a line chart as well as a straight/pivot table/list box with expressions(which is a list of tracked changes, meaning only for the values which he enters a parameter should be shown in this table) and the  most recent selection for which he has inputed some parameters should be shown in the line chart.

I am having trouble creating the tracked history chart.

Can anyone help me out. Any queries are welcome.

Thanks,

Abhinava

4 Replies
jonasheisterkam
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

You can do following with macros:

You can use dynamic update, to fill a table with this selections.

You can use input fields to add the Values in a Table.

You can create variables. To use not "fields * selections" variables  you can.add the every new value with a separator to a var.   VarField1= Select1|Select2|Select3... the chart is a little bit tricky, in dim you can use valueloop(1,subfieldcont('$(VarField1)','|',1) or you can test if you can build the var that way that you can use it directly in valuelist.

Not applicable
Author

So you are after persistent history tracking, i.e. the user inputs need to be stored permanently rather than just for a single QlikView session?

That would involve some sort of write-back functionality to a database or repository. QlikView is a read-only tool, but there are ways that it can be achieved. One option would be to use a macro, another would be to create an extension object. One or two QlikView partners have already created commercial extension objects that facilitate write-back, e.g. KliqPlan or bWise (look on the online QlikMarket), but with the right skills you can also develop that yourself. I can't provide any examples I'm afraid but maybe someone else can. There is information on the QlikCommunity about write-back using macros.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jonas, Thanks for your reply.

I too thought of dynamic update but I have to develop this solution in QlikView version 10, while dynamic update was introduced in v11 onwards.

I will try the concat and valuloop function on the variables to see if it is achievable.

Thanks for the advice.

Abhinava

Not applicable
Author

Hi Kai,

Thanks for your reply.

As far as the history is concerned, it has to be stored only for a particular session of QlikView.

I have to develop this solution in QlikView v10. I will look into the extensions example you suggested.

Thanks a lot.

Abhinava