Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QVS.exe used a lot of memory

Hi QlikView,

We have a customer who reported that the qilkview occupied a
lot of memory. For example, qvs.exe occupies 597M and qvdistributionService.exe
occupies 421M. May I please know whether this is normal? Why it is occupying so
much memory?

From another discussion:http://community.qlik.com/message/339976#339976, it is said QlikView is an in-memory analysis technology

14 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Susan

Yup, it is correct and healthy for QlikView Server to use nearly all of it sever's RAM.

But your figure of qvs.exe occupies 597M seems rather small though, how much RAM does the serve have ?

Best Regards,     Bill

Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill,

The total Physical Memory is 16371MB on their server. But this server is also the appserver for another Application (Apprise). Thus I don’t think it is safe for QlikView to use all of the server’s RAM, right?

Is there any threshold of occupied RAM size for qlikview? Per the discussion from other guys, it seems if the RAM used by Qlikview is too much, it will induce the other application down.

Also from another article- http://community.qlik.com/thread/70807, it seems there is a known issue for Windows update. Is it related to my question? The version that my customer is using: version 11.20.11718.0 SR1 64-bit

Thanks,

Susan

Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill,

The total Physical Memory is 16371MB on their server. But this
server is also the appserver for another Application (Apprise). Thus I don’t
think it is safe for QlikView to use all of the server’s RAM, right?

Is there any threshold of occupied RAM size for qlikview? Per
the discussion from other guys, it seems if the RAM used by Qlikview is too
much, it will induce the other application down.

Also from another article- http://community.qlik.com/thread/70807,
it seems there is a known issue for Windows update. Is it related to my
question? The version that my customer is using: version 11.20.11718.0 SR1
64-bit

Thanks,

Susan

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Susan

BEWARE !!!  It is very unwise for the QlikView Server [aka QVS] to share a sever with any other application.

I would very strongly recommend your QlikView Servers is given it's own dedicated physical server.

Best Regards,    Bill

Not applicable
Author

Bill,

Is this situation related to the article I mentioned, http://community.qlik.com/thread/70807?

I am afraid it is not easy for the customer to separate the QlikView Server with another appliction server. But based on their current total Physical Memory (16371MB), I think it is safe that the ram occupied by QlikView is less than 1 GB, right?

Generally, I have two questions,

1. Will the RAM occupied by QlikView keep on increase? Let's say, the occupied RAM will be 1.5GB in a week and 2 GB in two weeks?

2. Is there any reason why the QlikView occupies 1GB RAM currently? Sorry, I don't know much about QlikView but our customer needs some explanations.

Thanks,

Susan

Not applicable
Author

hey,

1) yes the ram will keep increasing up to a % of the total ram defined in the qlikview management console under the tab system -> Qlikview Server -> Performance -> Working Set. I guess default is 90% .

2) QlikView caches selections, calculations, ecc up to the % defined in the working set to improve the user experience.

More than a recommendation a DEDICATED server is almost a MUST for Qlikview.

Cheers,

Juan Pedro

Not applicable
Author

Thank you, Juan!

To decrease the RAM used, I think I can suggest them restarting the related services [QlikView Server, QlikView Distribution, etc] on a timely basis, let's say once a week! Will that work or is there other option?

Thanks,

Susan

Not applicable
Author

Hi Susan,

QlikView is a in memory analysis tool that will try to get as much RAM as available to avoid page to disk. This means that the use of RAM will grow when the product is used and new users makes new selections. I strongly recommend that you, to avoid conflicts, keeps the QlikView server on a separate machine.

You dont have a static threshold, however you can set the working set limits in the QMC (on the QVS service under performance) that will control the QVS behavior when it comes to releasing cache.

Not applicable
Author

Yes, that is a possible solution, but it will effect the users experience as it will be slower to use when calculation & selections are not cached.