Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Use the TOTAL qualifier only on part of the dimensions

Hi,

I have a straight table with the details of accidents which are ultimately taken from an Excel list. This straight_table_diagram has several dimensions:

- Date

- Plant

- Area

- Number

One of the expressions I have is "nr. of events". Currently,  because of those dimensions, that is always 1. That is not very helpful. I would like to disregard all dimensions except the Date and display that as the nr._of_events, that would be more meaningful.

Can I do that using the TOTAL qualifier? In my book, there are a few examples on that one, it's easy enough, but the examples are only to disregard all of the dimensions.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Perhaps something like count(total <Date> EventId). Every row with the same date will show the same count.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Perhaps something like count(total <Date> EventId). Every row with the same date will show the same count.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Perfect!

That is exactly what I wanted - only instead of a COUNT, I now have a SUM - does not really make a difference, but I think I have gathered somewhere that COUNT (DISTINCT in particular) is more resource-intensive than SUM.

I just try to optimize performance on-the-go as far as I can.

I have also installed that Governance_Dashboard now, so at some future point I can start looking at all the apps we have and start fine-tuning.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Gysbert_Wassenaar

That's a myth that has been debunked: A Myth About Count(distinct …)

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Interesting 😉

Well, that's one thing that we don't have to worry about when looking at the performance of our QlikView_infrastructure.