Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sky
Contributor II
Contributor II

Section Access with multiple Fields and a range of Values

Hello Com,

i´ve got a small problem using section access. I´ve got a table for section access with the following structure:

NTNAMEID1ID2ID3 fromID3 to
User1A1110009999
User1A5009999
User1B2245005000
User2A1109999

Is there any possibility to get the from/to range in section access.

Thank you in advance

4 Replies
Not applicable

Hi Christian

I would recommend you break down the 'From' and 'To' to provide a more granular access table.  This is a relatively simple task.  You will need the following code which firstly loads your source table, then creates a second table which lists out each of the different values.

StartData:

LOAD * INLINE [

User, ID from, ID to

A, 1, 100

B, 30, 50

C, 50, 60

D, 1, 7

];

Final:

Load

[ID from]+Iterno()-1 as ID

Resident [StartData]

While ([ID from] + IterNo() -1) <= [ID to];

Drop Table StartData;

Once you have your final table, load this into Section Access via a resident load and drop the table (Final:) to ensure confidentiality of access rights.

Let me know how you get on.

Steve

sky
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Stephen,

this might be a possible solution, had something simillar in my mind. The problem is the size of the table with the right infomation. There are around 4.700 different users who can have multiple rights in every ID, with almost every combination of ranges in ID 3, so that the source table has got something around 2.5 mill. lines. If I would now use this idea, the tablesize will get enormous and I think it won´t have a good performance.

Not applicable

Christian

The first thing to note, is that although the Section Access table will be large, most of the records are dropped when a user opens the file (as I have been taught).

I'm not sure if Qlikview supports using more complex Section Access beyond having such a simple (and therefore, large in your case) table.

There are pieces of code that spring to mind like intervalmatch and possibly an inline table to associate each ID3 to a certain group, but the issue is you have a many-to-many relationship between the ID3 and the bands, i.e.;

ID3 4567 falls into bands 0 -9999 and 4500-5000  and of course there are multiple ID3's in each band.

Is there a way to group partial bands?  By this I mean, can you group say 500 ID3's together?  So that in the fact table you could create a field called BAND and for a record, e.g. 4567 associate it to BAND value 4500-5000.  This could be then used to drive your section access, so in stead of 500 records for multiple users, they would one get one record?

This does mean that users do not have very distinct bands such as 3452-8538 etc.  Does this situation occur?

Let me know your thoughts and any further information you may have?

Steve

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Christian,

You will have to do something like this.

section.png

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.