Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sudeep_d
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

QVS consuming memory

Hi ,

There is no user active  session in the server i.e no user has opened any application in the server .Still qvs is consuming more than 20 gb memory.i have to maually reload services to release the memory.

why the qvs is consuming memory when there is no active session??

Thanks.

9 Replies
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

The fact that the users have logged out is not enough to release the memory. The cache is still active and keeps the selections and results of previous sessions. And this is the designed behavior.

In other words: The fact that the QVS uses memory is not a sign that something is wrong. Quite the opposite, in fact.

HIC

Yousef_Amarneh
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

make sure that you are using the last version of Qlikview server, I faced this problem before and I upgraded Qlikview server to the last version and the problem was solved.

Yousef Amarneh
sudeep_d
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Henric,

What if i have 64gb ram in server and 55 gb is consumed by qvs when there is no active user session. then how will other users view other other appliaction cuz server is already overloaded.

sudeep_d
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Yousuf,

Upgrading is not an option for me cuz cutomer wont agree with that.. There must b some settings which releases these memory automatically when the user session is inactive.

thanks.

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Dear Sandeep,

Let me explain how it works.

QlikView catches all the actions of the users. So when a user is using the application, it will consume the RAM, because the application is being utilized.

Now when there are no sessions going on that time also QlikView keep the data in RAM, the reason is user might again open the report and this time the performance will be better for him, because the data is already in RAM.

Now you might have question that what if full RAM is utilized.

In such case QlikView will remove the earlier or older catch data, so even tough you see the full utilization of RAM, only few % of RAM is being utilized. So you shouldn't worry that your Server will crash or have any other issue.

You can also set the limit of the Memory which can be used by QlikView.

For this you should go to QEMC -> System -> Setup ->QlikView Serve -> Performance

Here you will see the option of Working Set.

You can set the Minimum and Maximum % of RAM which should be used by QlikView.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Then you should change the working set limits, just as Kaushik Solanki suggests in his answer.

HIC

sudeep_d
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi,

What wud be idle min and max working sets settings for this case where i dun want the system to be slow beacause of 1 session .

Thanks

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Ideal will be 60 to 70

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
sudeep_d
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Kaushik,

I have changed the settings as u have suggested.I ll just monitor for some time if this has worked. Mean while i have 2 more queries regarding performance.

1> If there are 4 users active in server using 4 diff application and the overall qvs usage is 40 gb, being an administrator can i know which application is taking how much gb ram in the server?

2> If i know a particular application is taking higher amount of RAM, then can i kill that particular session?

Thanks

Sudeep.