Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Frame around plot area of chart

Hi,

sorry for this simple question but QV is pretty new for me!

I just want to do a coloured frame aound a chart in QV.

In the chart properties in tab colors the plot area border is always not selectable!

Does anybody know how this works?

Thanks for your help guys,

Christian

7 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Christian,

Do you mean borders? If so then you can right click on the chart, go to Properties--Layout tab, there in the top left section you can customize the borders as you want.

border.bmp

Hope this helps!

a_mullick
Creator III
Creator III

Right Click on chart --> Properties --> Colours..

You can specify colours and borders for the chart frame (Plot Area/Border is not available for all chart types, but Background Frame Colour is).

Not applicable
Author

Hi Azam,

thanks for your help.

I use a normal bar chart. In the properties in tab colors I can just change the backround colour of the whole chart and not just the frame!

Is it really not possible to change such a simple thing?

thanks

Christian

Not applicable
Author

Hi Syamal,

thanks fo your quik help.

Yes I mean exactly what you wrote me. The point is just, that I can not choose the colour of the border. I just can choose shodow intensity and border width. But then the border colour ist black and I would like to have it white!06.12.png

Cu,

Christian

a_mullick
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

Hmmm. I've never actually used this before myself, but I had assumed that the 'Plot Area Border' would give you what you were after i.e. a border in your choice of colour. But I can't get it to work despite the help text implying that it should be available for a bar chart.

I know it's not the answer you're after, but there is a school of thought that suggests that frame borders and such like are in fact a waste of space and ink... they offer no extra information concerning the data at all.

Search for 'data ink ratio', or 'chart junk' if you want to learn more.

Azam

a_mullick
Creator III
Creator III

But,,,,

Go to Document Settings --> General Tab and set Styling Mode to Advanced. This will give you the option to specify a colour forborders in Chart Properties --> Layout as Shyamal suggests.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Adam,

thanks so much. Now it works.

Thanks for your time!

CU

christian