cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nicktodd
Creator
Creator

Scatter plot issue when using cyclic group drilling to single value

I'm having a problem using a cyclic group in conjunction with a scatter chart.

In the example attached, showing student marks for a module (Y-Axis) against student average (X-axis) I've added a cyclic group so I can either show student year of birth or sex. This works well for modules M1 - M4 which have both male and female students marks.

For modules M5 and M6 only male students (E and F) took the module - now when I cycle the group to sex instead of seeing chart symbols for male the chart plots the student ID - which is not what I want (presumably, since sex doesn't change the chart shows the next dimension that does).

Also, once I have cycled to sex for modules M5 and M6 the cyclic group button disappears!

Any ideas how I can solve this problem and show sex correctly no matter which module I display?

many thanks

Nick

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nick,

See if the attached works for you.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Well, you could uncheck the Suppress Zero-Values option on the Presentation tab. The drawback is the legend will show all values even if no data is actually plotted for that value.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nick,

See if the attached works for you.

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Curious, how did you put that 45 degrees line?

nicktodd
Creator
Creator
Author

Michael

Thanks for your quick reply - that's perfect! I'm struggling to see what it is you did though.

Many thanks

Nick

nicktodd
Creator
Creator
Author

Clever

It's a kludge - all I did was create a line object then put the chart object on top of it (setting the background colour to be fully transparent) so the line object shows through.

Nick

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

nice, didn´t notice that

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nick, see the script.  I added blank values for Sex.  On the front end - used persistent colors, and changed third (blank sex) color to white.  That means it is a problem in YOB mode.  Changing it in the attached - color is conditional in 1st expression, and is white for the blank sex.

I think Gysbert's solution is better.  First, it is simpler.  Second, it doesn't affect anything else.  My solution can affect other charts because I duplicate the rows.  I didn't look at this.

nicktodd
Creator
Creator
Author

Gysbert

Thanks for this - so simple! In my real world example the value that my chart trips up on actually has quite a lot of possible values so it's not ideal to display them all in the legend when only one value is shown but it's a big improvement on what I have.

Nick

nicktodd
Creator
Creator
Author

Michael

Thanks again for your help.I think your solution will be OK for my real-world example.

Nick